Fuel tank clarification

Fuel tanks, systems and parts
WWhunter

Re: Fuel tank clarification

Post by WWhunter » Sat Mar 13, 2010 08:48

I am in the minority I guess. I would put in the biggest tanks I could. The weight difference between 5 and 13 gallon tanks (empty) cannot be that much. A pound or two I am guessing. I think it is better to have and not need than to need and not have. I would install the 13 gallon ones since you have the wing apart. You DON'T have to fill it with fuel but you DO have the option if you ever need it.
My Champ has a toal of 39 gallons of fuel, granted I have a thirstier engine (O-235), but there have been many time I have filled all the tanks and flown most of the day. I can always set down to "drain my vain" but am not always able to get fuel.....especially in the boonies on the weekends. The ability to find fuel on floats is also a consideration. Last fall I took a flight that was over 6 hours. Got home with fuel to spare. Butt was sore...but I still had fuel!! Just something more to think about.....get the bigger tanks. :)
WW

joea
Site Admin

Post by joea » Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:18

WW,

Feel the same and they only get heavy if they are full IMHO.

Also if someone wants to upgrade the engine later, the bigger tanks are there and ready. IMHO it increases you value of the plane as well.

Joe A

Nathan K. Hammond

Post by Nathan K. Hammond » Sun Mar 28, 2010 01:07

I'm in the 'bigger is better' class, for the same reasons Keith pointed out. The option to carry extra fuel when needed is nice; and certainly better than carrying jerry cans in the cockpit.

I went with two 5-gallon wing tanks because of price. The kit was $700, versus $1900 for the 13-gallon tanks.
But 23-gallons still gives me 5 hours with a reserve at 90mph. I can handle that. :wink:

nkh
7AC-5691
Super 85-12F @ DVK

joea
Site Admin

Post by joea » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:01

Nathan,

Would do the same unless I was in Alaska or such. 23 gallons is more than enough for most situations that we see down this part of the world.

Joe