Re: Champ wing tanks

Fuel tanks, systems and parts
Carlton

Post by Carlton » Sat Jul 13, 2019 14:16

Does anyone have any experience or knowledge of a removable champ wing tank? I am thinking of adding small capacity tanks to each wing, but need them both to be removable so they can be filled off site and reinstalled in the wing full.Any thoughts or suggestions? Can this done with a field approval?
quick release fittings, etc.

rkittine

Post by rkittine » Sun Jul 14, 2019 07:45

I would imagine that they could be rigged in that way. If you can carry filled tanks to your plane, why could you not bring filled legal fuel containers to it and dump the fuel in? It would seem an easier fix.

When my wing tank in my 7CCM started acting up, I had it removed and repaired. When it was put back in, the mechanic fabricated a removable aluminum cover over the tank rather than patching the fabric, which then make it easy to get access at again. I guess that and some quick disconnect fittings might do what you want, though many times I filled my 5.5 gallon wing tank with a 5 gallon red fuel container and a funnel.

Bob
Robert P. Kittine, Jr.WA2YDV
West Nyack Aviation, L.L.C.
New York, New York 631-374-9652
rkittine@aol.com

Carlton

Post by Carlton » Sun Jul 14, 2019 21:04

My issue is that fueling on my local field is not allowed by portable container. Your idea with cover and quick disconnects is exactly what I am thinking would work perfectly.

Any suggestions as to who can help me make this happen?

Carlton

rkittine

Post by rkittine » Mon Jul 15, 2019 06:20

Carlton,

Where are you located? The guy that did my tank repair / modification is here in Orange County, New York.

Send me an e-mail or text and I will send you his contact information.

Cheers, Bob

rkittine@aol.com 631-374-9652
rkittine@aol.com

Carlton

Post by Carlton » Tue Jul 16, 2019 20:16

I am domiciled on the west coast.... Oregon, but I would be happy to chat with your guy,

Thx,
Carlton

hangerash

Post by hangerash » Sat Jul 20, 2019 06:29

Berrer you should educate your local airport. If they take Federal dollars for airport improvements there are precedents to overturn the ill-formed regulations.

Most of these regulations were enacted by local airport authority to prevent the use of auto fuel and loss of revenue/ Do they also prohibit fueling your aircraft by means other than portable containers? There are fuel caddys that have manual or battery driven pumps.

The simplest solution is to educate the airport authority and correct the regulation imho.
Richard

rkittine

Post by rkittine » Sat Jul 20, 2019 08:17

Lifting a full tank and reinstalling it every time you fuel up I would think would be as dangerous if not more than fueling from an approved container. I agree you should do some more checking with the airport.

The reason I did the modification was not to be able to take the tank in and out all the time, but to get better access when and if it needed repair.

Bob
rkittine@aol.com