7AC Fuselage Jig

A section to provide help and assistance to anyone restoring their airplane.
bsafran

7AC Fuselage Jig

Post by bsafran » Sat Mar 07, 2015 07:27

I have a fuselage jig (the FAA says it should be called a reference fixture) for the 7AC Champ which was designed and built by a reputable Aeronca mechanic. It is available for free to anyone wanting to check the alignment of their fuselage prior to recovering. Any kind of repairs are possible since this jig accurately duplicates the Aeronca fuselage blueprint. The jig is being moved to Centerburg, OH just outside of Columbus and will be handed over to Bill See at his grass airstrip. Mr. See combines Aeronca training and repairs and it makes sense that he could make better use of the jig than I can at this time. A full time job and a small airport to upkeep have kept me away from the fuselage repairing business. Please look up Bill at the Chapman Memorial Airfield (OH71). Where else can you rent a Champ (or an antique biplane) while your plane is being worked on?

hangerash

Re: 7AC Fuselage Jig

Post by hangerash » Sat Mar 07, 2015 08:26

Brian,

Thanks for this posting. To the best of my knowledge there are only three Champ jigs in the US. Glenn Miller in California, Ron Piercy in Washington, and yours in Ohio. There has been a lot of talk about a fourth in Texas and after many phone calls and emails I don't believe it exists any longer. Perhaps someone will correct or add to this post.
Richard

bsafran

Post by bsafran » Sat Mar 07, 2015 09:50

There is a jig in Texas just outside of Houston in Pearland. At least there was. I visited the gentleman who bought it from a friend who was going through a divorce. It was the most basic of frames and only established a few major aligning points. It was left up to the mechanic to fill in the rest of the fuselage around those points. My intention on meeting this guy was to establish an Aeronca repair relationship. My jig is in Ohio and the others are on the west coast. If this Texas jig was up to par I wanted to send business his way for people closer to southern Texas than northern Ohio. I wasn't too impressed with the fixture and the gentleman who bought it had never tried to fix a fuselage in it before. Unfortunately, that man was killed in a car accident several years ago and never got a chance to try it out. The jig going to central Ohio is massive and when fully assembled weighs close to a ton and stands over eight feet tall. I hope Mr. See can devote more time to using it than I could at this stage of my life. Maybe when I retire in eight years I can give it another try or just sell it to a younger, more energetic mechanic.

hangerash

Post by hangerash » Sat Mar 07, 2015 10:03

That Texas jig is the one that has vanished or been scrapped. I can't remember names at this moment, a condition exacerbated by my advanced years, however I tracked it through the last three reported owners and the widow as well as a good friend of Jerry Pockrus (memory came back briefly) said he didn't have a jig when his collection of parts was sold.
Richard

joea
Site Admin

Post by joea » Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:25

Carl White says that the jig in Houston is still around but not available.

Lets not forget that the ACA (American Champion) also has a Champ jig and have done restoration projects before.

hangerash

Post by hangerash » Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:26

I'd love to know who has it. The people I talked with last year were pretty convincing it no longer existed.
Of course if its not available it might as well not exist. :|
Richard

joea
Site Admin

Post by joea » Thu Feb 11, 2016 18:13

hangerash wrote:I'd love to know who has it. The people I talked with last year were pretty convincing it no longer existed.
Of course if its not available it might as well not exist. :|
Are you on Facebook? There is an entire thread on the NAA's FB page about this and I believe it gives the gents name who has it.

hangerash

Post by hangerash » Fri Feb 12, 2016 09:47

Joe,

I really appreciate the work you are doing here and with the NAA Facebook site. I just spent a half an hour in the Facebook Vortex only to find names I have previously discounted through conversations and emails last year. I have emailed Plain Carl to see if what I checked was inaccurate. If indeed the fixture is in storage that would explain why the last reported owner's (Jerry Pockrus) widow had no knowledge of it, it never was owned by him.
Richard

joea
Site Admin

Post by joea » Fri Feb 12, 2016 13:03

Carl knows the story and passed along the contact info to me, but I am not in any place right now to take on another project like this.

Am sure that he will assist and would love to see another Jig back in Ohio....

Joe A