Propwash Fabric Rib Spacing

Fabric and covering. Fabric, dopes, paint and everything associated with the coverings on our planes.
GWestphal

Propwash Fabric Rib Spacing

Post by GWestphal » Mon Jan 11, 2010 18:04

Mike, does the fabric attach screw/rivets to the rib spcg run 2 1/4" out through the 4th rib (about 35") or do most cover jobs go out to the aileron well. The ribs on one of my wings have extra holes out to the aileron. I ordered Stewarts materials so will be trying something new other than Stits. Gordy

kyleb

Re: Propwash Fabric Rib Spacing

Post by kyleb » Mon Jan 11, 2010 19:05

Drawing 4-547 shows 2 5/16" spacing on the first two ribs outboard of the butt rib, and 4 5/8" on the remaining ribs.

Hope this helps.

Kyle
Kyle Boatright
Marietta, GA

RV-6 Built and Flying
Champ Restoration Underway

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Mon Jan 11, 2010 20:01

Gordy,
I think Bill Pancake told me to the forth rib. Can't hurt anyway. I'm pretty sure my Champ at the airport is like that. I'm going down to help a guy install skis on the yellow Champ so I'll check the two I can get to without trudging through a lot of snow.

Keep us informed on how the Stewart System works for you. I'm tempted to try it on the wings if they could match the paint (Superflite, lemon yellow).

Mike

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:29

Gordy,
I just dug out my copy of Todd's CD and Kyle is correct according to drawing 4-547, close spacing on the first two ribs outboard of the butt rib and 4 5/8 " on the remaining (boy, it's hard to read though). I was at the airport today and my Champ is close spaced to the 6th rib or at the jury struts. The Yellow club Champ is about two ribs further out yet........go figure :? . I'd think four past the butt rib would be more like it and two seems a little short. I haven't got to the point where I was starting to worry about it yet but I'm pretty sure Bill told me four past the butt rib. On the other hand, at my age things go in one ear and out the other :roll: . Sorry I'm not more help.............. We finally got the yellow Champ up on skis today so I got a little stick time from the back seat.......felt good!!

Mike

joea
Site Admin

Post by joea » Tue Jan 12, 2010 17:14

Everyone,

Just sent all of you a better copy of the drawing.

Joe A

GWestphal

Post by GWestphal » Thu Jan 14, 2010 17:58

Thank you everyone for the drawing and added info. Just about every cover job uncovers changes by the restorers...........Gordy. Jerry Berg stopped in for coffee this afternoon and a Sonex builder offered to plow him out so he could go to Wis now that Allegiant won't be flying into Rochester but he said wait til spring.

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Thu Jan 14, 2010 19:45

Gordy,
Our runway is pretty much out of service except for skis. Jerry will have to wait until next spring to bring donuts. I'm trying to picture a nose gear Kitfox on skis :? although I'm sure it's possible. I saw a picture of a P-38 on skis once.

Mike