Wing Stand needed for 7AC in southeast Texas

Fabric and covering. Fabric, dopes, paint and everything associated with the coverings on our planes.
Orlan H Franks

Wing Stand needed for 7AC in southeast Texas

Post by Orlan H Franks » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:31

I am in need of a Wag-Aero/ACSpruce advertised commercial style stand (hooped center) in order to cover 6 Champ wings. I wish to PURCHASE a used unit in good shape within 2-300 miles of Houston area. Anyone have one, or know of one for sale please advise ASAP. Orlan Franks N2618E, N9NW, N7580E and others. cell (713) 410-0381

joea
Site Admin

Re: Wing Stand needed for 7AC in southeast Texas

Post by joea » Fri Feb 12, 2010 07:06

Orlan,

Good to hear from you! Are you doing another Champ or re-doing your old one?

Joe A

Orlan H Franks

Re: Wing Stand needed for 7AC in southeast Texas

Post by Orlan H Franks » Fri Feb 12, 2010 07:57

Howdy Joe, Elizabeth & I are rebuilding a pair of 7FC (7FC-CONV to 7EC style in'82). The wing covers on Snoopy, N2618E (7AC-CONV) are approaching no-pass condition for next annual, so need to be stripped, inspected, possibly new spars, some hardware and recover.

We had the formers de-laminate as result of inexperienced hangar rashers using the hip-bump method to move the tailwheel bird out of their way - bad deal! Also, my aggressive forward slip maneuvers loads up the rear sides fuselage fabric. We have completed the cut-out of the upper half of the fabric, replaced the formers with real airplane plywood (plus selective skinny-area reinforcement), have the Ceconite in place, stretched and taped. Now the mid-30's temp is delaying Stewart Systems priming and painting progress. We document every step of our work so a substantial volume of digital images exist.

I need to buy the wing holder rig as it appears everyone seeing our handiwork wants help in doing similar quality work on their fabric birds. Elizabeth and I should have our A&P licenses in hand before we do the wing work. Elizabeth just finished her first total rebuild of a Bonanza's IO-520 and it started in 6-10 blades. 20-30 seconds later all the lifters were pressured and the engine has run beautifully. We now have a pair of C-90s to complete plus the rebuilds of the 7FC-CONVs.

Keep eyes & ears open for a wing stand. Orlan