Fuselage Epoxy Primer

Fabric and covering. Fabric, dopes, paint and everything associated with the coverings on our planes.
Kif

Fuselage Epoxy Primer

Post by Kif » Fri Mar 05, 2010 21:19

I am going to cover with Ceconite and Randolph products. I am trying to find the yellow epoxy primer noted in Pancake's Pratical Pointers but I can only find Green or White. I did call Randolph and they said the have a yellow epoxy primer with a Mil Spec number. This is for the military. Could I use this and still be okay with the STC? Anyone have any ideas on this or know where to get some of the yellow epoxy? I am also trying to find the tan interior paint. I called a Napa store and the paint number was no good. Is there another brand or is there a different Napa number I can use? Has anyone else used the Aeronca colors and were you happy with the colors? (enamel and dope colors close to matching or did they come from the fatory slightly different, I am trying to restore back to original?). Thanks alot for your inputs.
Keith Wernsman
7AC-6609 N3023E

kyleb

Re: Fuselage Epoxy Primer

Post by kyleb » Fri Mar 05, 2010 22:38

Kif wrote:I am going to cover with Ceconite and Randolph products. I am trying to find the yellow epoxy primer noted in Pancake's Pratical Pointers but I can only find Green or White. I did call Randolph and they said the have a yellow epoxy primer with a Mil Spec number. This is for the military. Could I use this and still be okay with the STC? Anyone have any ideas on this or know where to get some of the yellow epoxy? I am also trying to find the tan interior paint. I called a Napa store and the paint number was no good. Is there another brand or is there a different Napa number I can use? Has anyone else used the Aeronca colors and were you happy with the colors? (enamel and dope colors close to matching or did they come from the fatory slightly different, I am trying to restore back to original?). Thanks alot for your inputs.
You could buy the white epoxy primer and have your local auto paint store tint it to match the yellow zinc chromate. On the tan interior paint, do you have any undisturbed original paint chips on your plane? You could get them matched at the local paint store.
Kyle Boatright
Marietta, GA

RV-6 Built and Flying
Champ Restoration Underway