EMERGENCY HELP NEEDED FOR CATALYST

Fabric and covering. Fabric, dopes, paint and everything associated with the coverings on our planes.
Dennis

EMERGENCY HELP NEEDED FOR CATALYST

Post by Dennis » Wed Mar 17, 2010 09:09

I need 3 qts, or what I can get, of Air-Tech color catalyst #CCM-5020 or CCM-5030; or I understand CCP or CCT may be substituted for the CCM. That is the old style 1:1 paint to catalyst ration. Can't buy it from Air Tech and I need to paint this Friday. I'll take what ever I can get.

Thanks, Dennis

kyleb

Re: EMERGENCY HELP NEEDED FOR CATALYST

Post by kyleb » Wed Mar 17, 2010 16:10

Dennis,

I can't help with the specific catalyst you need, but would recommend you talk to the tech support people at Air Tech. It is entirely possible that their product is simply a repackage of a catalyst that is available at your local auto paint emporium. And since they have <apparently?> dropped the formulation, there shouldn't be anything preventing them from sharing the information on a generic substitute with you.

Kyle
Kyle Boatright
Marietta, GA

RV-6 Built and Flying
Champ Restoration Underway

Dennis

Post by Dennis » Wed Mar 17, 2010 17:32

Kyle,

I talked with them and they would not offer any help at all. I also suspect that other 1:1 catalyst would work but do not want to take the chance on my wings unless someone could tell me they had done it. It is my understanding that the 1:1 catalyst was mandated discontinued by the EPA. So I also suspect that I may not be able to get it "new" from any source. But I am out of my league here. Hoping that someone can enlighten me on the subject. I will check with my Auto Parts Paint place tomorrow to what they know about it or what they can suggest.

I am not shot down completely. I have enough catalyst to do the "red". And the new mix on the white is available. I hate to throw 1 1/2 gallons of white paint in the tollet.

Dennis

bigjim

Post by bigjim » Thu Mar 18, 2010 09:31

J.D. here! Ive worked with alot off paint over the years! and I sugest you try a small sample batch of paint with hardener on something other than your wing first. PPG, sherman williams an others dilute there hardener per batch an mixture control. I always run a sample first on simmler matt an let in set overnite . I would imagin the diss. paint was the same as the old imron put out by Dupont. they used 1 to 1 mix as well. your cat should be comp to your base. Please be carefull an wear mask (resp) an cover your self well that is nasty stuff. It likes to screw with your blood system. I know first hand! Sometimes its better to lose a coupple gal paint than have to have a mess on your hands latter. J. D.Holbrook warsaw in.