Aeronca 11CC fuselage covering?

Fabric and covering. Fabric, dopes, paint and everything associated with the coverings on our planes.
AV8ERZ

Aeronca 11CC fuselage covering?

Post by AV8ERZ » Mon Aug 02, 2010 21:00

Hello everybody! I'm new to this board and pilot/owner of a 1948 Aeronca 11CC Chief, C-85 "N4441E" all stock and currently undergoing recovering the wings and fuselage. Does anybody knows of a place that carries or can make the envelope for the fuselage? We are using Ceconite 101 process and have all materials except for the covering for the fuselage? Any help would be greatly appreciated, If we can help others at this point we would be happy to assist.

Also, Interested in finding anybody that is in the Northern California "Willits" O28 or surrounding area that is an Aeronca flyer?

Thanks,

Michael.

skyking3286

Re: Aeronca 11CC fuselage covering?

Post by skyking3286 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 21:48

Talk with Jim Milller....PolyFiber rep who knows Aeroncas.
Mark Peterson
Harvey Field, WA
A copy of my old Chief website is preserved here:

http://www.reocities.com/mrpeters.geo/index.html

AV8ERZ

Post by AV8ERZ » Mon Aug 02, 2010 22:17

Thanks Mark, Is there a phone number that I can obtain or should I just look him up?? Any and all info is greatly appreciated, I would like to help if and where I can? Would like to get the old putt-knocker back in the air A.S.A.P!!

Thanks,

Michael

joea
Site Admin

Post by joea » Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:44

Mike,

First off welcome on board, and second please make sure you save your old coverings.

They tell you where you will need to have inspection covers and so on, so very important. If you do not have the old covering then we can help but its a lot more involved.

Joe

Carl Prather

Post by Carl Prather » Tue Aug 03, 2010 14:29

Michael,

Welcome to a great place for Aeroncas. Joe Abrahamson doesn't get enough thanks for this website There is also the Fearless Aeronca Aviators website ran by John Rodkey and the is also Aeronca.com run by Todd Trainor. Look over the sites. Aeroncas are, arguably, the best and most enthusiatically supported of the vintage aircraft set.

There should several folks just south of you in at Sonoma Valley Airport and Schelleville who can help you with recover. A little further away, Paul Agaliotis lives about 30 minutes south of San Jose in San Martin and is a member of this group. He has a lot fabric experience over the years, restoring or rebuilding aircraft at the old Amelia Reid Aviation Flight School.

I could not offer a better suggestion that to join the Aeronca Aviators Club. It's a highly active organization that meets in Mecca, Middletown, Ohio every two years. I went for the first time two years ago but my back went out in May with sciatica and I missed the gathering this year. The club is first class yet simple and down to Earth.

Have fun with the Chief! It's always good to see another Aeronca going together!

Carl Prather

Gilroy, CA

AV8ERZ

Post by AV8ERZ » Tue Aug 03, 2010 16:18

Hello all,

Thank you everybody for your warm welcomes, it truly is a warm feeling to know there are other enthusiasts that have experience.
We in my family are just finishing a 1948 Stinson 108-3 and it will be airworthy around Christmas and I am an owner / pilot to one of few flyable Pazmany PL-2 "N2P"! It to is just at the end of restoration and will be boring holes in the sky again very soon :D
I acquired the chief for my father as a retirement gift! We both had lots of fun flying it and we grounded it due to several discrepancies. An inspection which we found the same area on both wing spars that was exposed to the elements and found a busted wood stringer and bulkhead right behind the auxiliary fuel tank not to mention that whoever covered the aircraft before we got it didn't know squat about covering! We lost several inspection rings and tapes as we flew her so the decision was made to recover the whole plane of course out of safety and dignity for the little puttknocker!!

Joe, I wish to thank you for having such a dedicated site filled with helpful tips from those who have experience and for your help and support. Without this site I would have never found the help and contacts and this project would have been very difficult again many Thanks.
p.s. Indeed we removed the covering and have it in safe keeping, not quite in a "safe" yet but very close :lol:

Mark Peterson, I was able to get in touch with Jim Miller and he had good news concerning the fuselage envelope many thanks go out to you and this board for being here Again, Thank You.

Carl Prather, Many thanks for the research of my local area Aeronca fliers, I will indeed do some more research and stop by the suggested airports and see if I can meet with these Aeronca aficionados, I would really like to go to the meets and fly-ins as a group. I am no stranger to formation flying, one of my several hobbies! Yes, We will be joining the Aeronca Aviators Club, you will see my name there very shortly.

I have lots of photos and would be more than willing to show the group the progress so just ask?

Many, Many, Thanks to everybody here, with your help and support our little puttknocker will airworthy around the end of this month? any input would be greatly accepted.

Thanks everybody keep in touch,

Michael.
100_1378.JPG
Aeronca 11CC-222 "N4441E"
100_1378.JPG (116.67 KiB) Viewed 4064 times

joea
Site Admin

Post by joea » Tue Aug 03, 2010 21:49

Nice looking Chief!

AV8ERZ

Post by AV8ERZ » Sat Nov 10, 2012 23:37

Hello everybody,
Even though this is an old post, here is an update!

I forgot to mention that we did get in contact with Jim Miller about an envelope for covering the fuselage, but unfortunately after many months of miss-communication and bad service from them, we just decided to cover the Chief the same way we did the Stinson 108-3, which was the blanket method.

I must say the end results were perfect and we did not have to splice in any additional pieces for the tail section mainly
the dorsal fin to vertical. Aeronca knew what they were doing when they designed this tail!

I just wanted to let everybody here know that if they are going to deal with Jim Miller, they need to do it very first thing before ordering anything covering related, as for some reason they do not do just fuselages or wings, but in fact they sell their products in bulk form of course for profit reasons which is understandable. Their work is superb and their products are great, I have seen many of the aircraft they have helped with, so in no way am I knocking that. Just wish they came out and told me they do not do just fuselages etc. instead of holding up the project for nearly eight months until they quit communicating with us?

In short, if your going with the Randolf process, they are still the greatest source and help. . . IF your covering or recovering the ENTIRE aircraft!

Thanks once again everyone,

Michael

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Fri Jun 21, 2013 16:47

Hi Michael (from another Michael "Mike),
I'm in the process of restoring another 11CC Chief and I've been eyeballing up the fuselage and thinking it should be able to be covered with a blanket method rather than the envelope. Nothing wrong with the envelope but nothing wrong with blanket either and that's the way they were originally covered at the factory. I'll be painting the fuselage tubing soon (after much sanding and cleaning) and then I need to make almost all new wood so I'm just starting the process and have a ways to go. I've covered three Champs but this is my first Chief....a lot more stuff to take off to get down to the basic framework and my storage room looks like an explosion in a junk yard right now. The fun part is when you start putting things back together....Oh heck...it's all fun!!! :D :D :D .

Mike

hangerash

Post by hangerash » Fri Jun 21, 2013 19:39

MikeB

The picture shows your balanced elevator quite well. You are going to have a nice plane when finished. Your wife probably realized this too when she told you not to get attached to it....lol
Richard

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Tue Sep 24, 2013 17:44

I'm basically at the point where I have to decide what method I'm going to use to cover the fuselage. It's ready to cover. I've contacted Miller a couple of time but no response yet and while they can make an envelope for my 11CC Chief project it appears they will only sell the envelope if I also purchase everything else from them which would not be a problem except I'm not sure I'm going to use the Poly Fiber process at this point. I also contacted Aircraft Spruce regarding buying an envelope from them but they only list envelopes for 7AC's and 15 (sedans) not the 11 series which I thought was interesting. They are 'supposedly' checking with their envelope supplier.

So how does one go about using the blanket method to cover the fuselage (big tail)? My wife thinks she can sew something together for me using the proper thread and stitching. Mostly I'm concerned about how to handle the tail section. I'm assuming it's possible to have enough material to wrap the vertical fin and the rest of the fuselage after sewing a seam over one of the stringers??? I should mention that I've used envelopes on the three Champs I've previously covered so this is new territory for me.

Are there any others that can provide a envelope??

Thanks,

Mike

joea
Site Admin

Post by joea » Tue Sep 24, 2013 17:49

Thats easy Mike...

Its time for you to get a Sedan! :)

Joe A

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Tue Sep 24, 2013 19:02

Hmmm! The sedan is interesting but think I better finish the "Super Chief" first. Wish it still had the McDowell starter. The pulley and brackets are there but of course everything else is gone :( .

Mike

joea
Site Admin

Post by joea » Tue Sep 24, 2013 22:11

Save those things Mike as they are now getting difficult to find.

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Wed Oct 09, 2013 16:36

Well, after contacting three different folks at Aircraft Spruce I finally got an answer. They (or their vendor) can make a fuselage envelope for the Chief although it's not listed in the catalog but....about 6 weeks to deliver. I keep looking at the fuselage and thinking blanket....it must be possible if I can get around the big tail some way. It would probably be fairly easy to wrap the tail with a seperate piece but I don't want to baseball stitch (ugly) and there's not much to wrap the lower part to other than the ends of the stringers although I'd bet when the Chiefs were originally factory covered they wrapped at the stringers like the Champs even though I know that's not the recommended way according to Poly-Fiber but on the other hand...... :?

I'd like to hear from anyone who has previously covered a Chief fuselage using the blanket method.

Thanks

Mike