Fabric Age

Fabric and covering. Fabric, dopes, paint and everything associated with the coverings on our planes.
2I2

Fabric Age

Post by 2I2 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 09:47

I looked at an 11AC a couple of weeks ago. Eyewise it was a very attractive plane, all stock with A-65 ans a working McDowell- a usable museum piece for sure. Looks like it has lived all of it's restored life (over ten years) in a hangar.

But I am given some pause by the fabric age, the wings having been done just over ten years ago, and the rest of the plane just over twenty, The wings have a 337 for rib stitching (what would be the value of that method over other attaching?) with Ceconite (I think) and I've no clue as to the rest of the plane- but I reckon it is a more modern covering as well.

If I were to make an offer, I wonder if I should factor in a recover on it in this condition? It seems that more than a few like about ten years between recovers.
Dennis Nichols
Versailles, KY

Grumps

Re: Fabric Age

Post by Grumps » Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:22

Have an experienced dope and fabric mechanic check the airplane--may cost a few bucks, but save a bundle in the end.

Doug
Keep the pointed end forward--
The dirty side down.....
And the blue skies on top....

joea
Site Admin

Post by joea » Wed Jul 06, 2011 20:30

Doug is spot on. Well worth the $$ and make sure that its not a mechanic that is a friend of the owner!

Al Hatz

Post by Al Hatz » Fri Jul 08, 2011 02:55

2I2 wrote:If I were to make an offer, I wonder if I should factor in a recover on it in this condition? It seems that more than a few like about ten years between recovers.
That may have been true thirty years ago when a lot of these airplanes sat outside or were covered in cotton. Not so much anymore, still as others pointed out have someone check it out. There still may be rust.

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Fri Jul 08, 2011 05:55

I was kind of thinking along the line of Al. Years ago it was fairly common for a lot of these old birds to sit outside or in a open dirt floor 'hangar'. I even dimly remember one that sat with most of the fuselage and one wing under cover while the tail feathers and one wing sat out in the weather. The other point is once you yank the cover it usually opens up a lot of other work rather than just the cover: rusty tubing, bulkheads, etc. Not bad to find by any means but be aware of it.
Mike