Bias Tapes

Fabric and covering. Fabric, dopes, paint and everything associated with the coverings on our planes.
MikeB

Bias Tapes

Post by MikeB » Mon Dec 12, 2011 13:18

Is it just me or ??? After I finished my L16 I hauled the Champ home to do some TLC on it along with intending to do a good wing inspection and some patching at the wing tips where I have some cracks in the paint. Normally I use a 3 inch pinked tape and shrink it down around the bow using a piece of cardboard under and a 250 degree iron which provides a pretty neat job. However, I was out of 3 inch so a friend gave me a bias tape which does stretch nice, etc. but now I have fuzzy pink edges. Is this normal because of the bias cut or am I doing something wrong? Never used bias before so I have no idea..... :? .

Mike

bob turner

Re: Bias Tapes

Post by bob turner » Wed Dec 14, 2011 00:57

I never use bias tapes. But others do, and many leave that huge seam that seems to occur every 60" or so. I would just put more silver on those edges and sand them with 400 wet. Make the last coat heavy and don't sand it, then sand the first coat of white until you think you see silver and stop. If you paint yellow, be sure the white covers all the silver.

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Wed Dec 14, 2011 07:22

Thanks Bob,
I'm using Superflite so no silver (it's in the primer) but I've already went ahead and sanded the edges as you described and most of the 'fuzzies" came out although still looks like :oops: in my opinion. I don't have to deal with the seam as the tape doesn't reach that far. I just hated to buy a new regular 3 inch tape, pay shipping, etc. so when this became available I took it. Normally with the regular 3 inch tape shrunk around with the iron it just takes a light touch with 400 after the first coat of prime. Superflite poly urathane does cover a lot of 'sins'.

Mike

jepropst

Post by jepropst » Wed Dec 14, 2011 08:05

Hi Mike, I don't have any experience with Superflite, but after putting the Poly primer on, I would go over the edges with the tip of a medium heat hobby iron and rub the edges of the tapes smooth. I'd adjust the heat until it would just start melting the primer and this would permit smoothing the edges and sticking the edges down. I did notice that the bias tape was a little more fuzzzy but I found it easier to apply around the curved surfaces. Good luck.
John Propst
313 Hickory Grove Ln
Elizabeth, WV 26143
cell 304 588 3690
j.e.propst@ieee.org
N3129E 2WV3

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:06

The Superflite primer does not seem to like heat while I think the poly fiber will more or less 'melt'. The edges are not really the problem rather that the bias tape tends to unravel at the pink. Actually using a regular 3 inch tape and shrinking it around with heat works quite well. I've used that method on three planes I covered. The tape (bias) and primer are already on and I'm going to shoot the color in about 30 minutes so I'll have to live with the result.

Don't think I'd use SF on another job if I happen to do one. While it's easy to use and looks good when it's done: it's heavy, tends to crack in our cold northern weather and the glue is very MEK intensive to the point I need to wear a mask if doing any large amount of gluing. I do have a fresh air supply breathing system but think I'd use it no matter what system I'm using.

Off to the shop :wink: .

MikeB

markl

Post by markl » Sun Feb 12, 2012 14:42

Normal. This is due to the fabric being cut on the bias and the penalty you pay for not having to do all the stretching and shrinking of regular tapes. My business is teaching and doing fabric work and I do them both ways depending on the roughness of the wingtip itself. Medium weight bias tape is better about not fuzzing up.
Regards
Tony Markl
markl@intercom.net
www.tailwheel-and-fabric-spoken-here.com
(learn fabric work or have it done at your home)