Cowling Grommet fasteners and scratch mark painting

Fabric and covering. Fabric, dopes, paint and everything associated with the coverings on our planes.
EDGEFLY

Cowling Grommet fasteners and scratch mark painting

Post by EDGEFLY » Sun Jul 15, 2012 18:35

Have a Chief with cowling fasteners which require a wide slot type screwdriver to loosen them. Over time this has led to the paint which was applied to their tops being scratched by the screwdrivers used to open the cowling. I would like to replace them with some type of "snap" grommets. Anyone know of a source for this kind of part ? Also,after I removed some unwanted decals, found that one of them had been used to cover a scratch mark approx. 1/4"
By 1 1/2 " on an aluminum surface near the passenger door. I can probably provide a color chip sample for matching but only need a small quantity of paint. I can always try local shops for this but there aren't a lot of them out here in the woods. Is there maybe an Internet supply for this kind of need ?

Paul Agaliotis

Re: Cowling Grommet fasteners and scratch mark painting

Post by Paul Agaliotis » Mon Jul 16, 2012 13:33

Try putting in wing style Dzus fasteners. Anything else looks a little odd. On the paint you might try touch up paint at the parts store. Also some better paint shops will be able to mix and container the paint. Sometimes they can put it in spray cans, so you can get it all over the windows also.
Paul
Mailing Adress : Paul Agaliotis 2060 E. San Martin, San Martin,Calif. 95046

Nathan K. Hammond

Post by Nathan K. Hammond » Mon Jul 16, 2012 22:25

Paul summed it up for you.

Look at Dzus or Southco fasteners, chances are that's what's used currently. Get the winged style, for replacement.
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/h ... -00285.php

Unless you can figure out the paint color and number from the logs, you won't have luck matching paint over the phone/web. Either carry a paint chip around until you get to town or put a new sticker on.

Good luck.

nkh
7AC-5691
Super 85-12F @ DVK

Grumps

Post by Grumps » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:51

Or get a Dzus tool.
Keep the pointed end forward--
The dirty side down.....
And the blue skies on top....