Wing fit problem

Fabric and covering. Fabric, dopes, paint and everything associated with the coverings on our planes.
Champ Dreamer

Wing fit problem

Post by Champ Dreamer » Tue Oct 09, 2012 15:50

Okay, when I covered my wings, I made a "spreader" that connected to the wing attach fittings on the spars. I fabricate the spreader from 1 x 1 14 ga. steel and matched it exactly to the spar attach points on the fuselage. When I finished each wing, I was able to remove the spreader without resistance. Today, we attempted to install a wing and it is 1/8" too small to fit the fuselage . I tried putting the spreader back on that wing and it won't fit either! (doesn't fit the other wing either). Almost as if the wings shrank in the past year. Other than removing the fabric and re-trammelling the wings, does anyone have any suggestions?

Any help would be appreciated

Brian Walker
'46 7AC DC

Paul Agaliotis

Re: Wing fit problem

Post by Paul Agaliotis » Tue Oct 09, 2012 19:37

Brian,
It sounds like the fabric is a little tight. The Butt rib is the only thing that hold the dimension at the wing root and it has a couple of braces for added support. Pull it to location and put the bolts in, make sure there is no damage to the wing structure. Once in place the attach will hold the spacing.
This is pretty common on the wood wing planes. Most of the Butt ribs have been curved by the shrinking of the fabric.
Paul
Mailing Adress : Paul Agaliotis 2060 E. San Martin, San Martin,Calif. 95046

Champ Dreamer

Post by Champ Dreamer » Wed Oct 10, 2012 06:53

Thanks so much, Paul. Any suggestions as to how I can pull it into position? I 've thought about loostening the bolts at the butt rib?

Thanks again,
Brian Walker

Champ Dreamer

Post by Champ Dreamer » Thu Oct 11, 2012 13:13

I feel better now. I loostened the bolts at the rear spar attachment bracket where it connects to the butt rib but still couldn't get the spars any further apart. So, I got a couple of pieces of allthread and one of those long nuts. Placed that rig between the inside of each spar fitting, turned the nut a couple of times and moved each spar a 1/16th of an inch further awy from each other. My speader bar now slips easily in place. Will hang that wing soon, then remove the allthread contraption and re-tighten the bolts. Whew!! I will drink Beer and watch the debate tonight (and sleep better too).

BRian Walker
7 AC now DC

Champ Dreamer

Post by Champ Dreamer » Sat Oct 13, 2012 18:51

We hung the wings today, zero problems. The darn thing's starting to look like an airplane! I can't wait.

Brian Walker
7AC now DC

Paul Agaliotis

Post by Paul Agaliotis » Mon Oct 15, 2012 13:13

Great job, Brian.
Don't get in a hurry now, because everything that gets installed at this point shows.
Paul
Mailing Adress : Paul Agaliotis 2060 E. San Martin, San Martin,Calif. 95046