Rear strut???

Fabric and covering. Fabric, dopes, paint and everything associated with the coverings on our planes.
pmanton

Rear strut???

Post by pmanton » Thu Oct 31, 2013 07:37

Can someone point me to a picture of how the opening in the wing for the rear strut is finished off? Looking at drawing 4-547 it appears that the rear strut enters the wing through a standard inspection ring. This would leave a pretty big opening for critters unless it is somehow closed off.

Thanks much
Paul
N2426E

jepropst

Re: Rear strut???

Post by jepropst » Thu Oct 31, 2013 08:07

Paul,
Prior to recovering my wings, I mounted the wings on the aircraft, adjusted the washout, and connected all the rigging (Bill Pancake insisted that I do this prior to covering, and in hindsight, I’m glad I did). While the wings were mounted and aligned, I took several pieces of cardboard and made templates to fit around the rear struts. I indexed the templates to known locations so that I could locate them after the wing was covered. I used the same size doilies that I covered the inspection rings with, to cover the location where the rear strut went through the wing. The template was used to cut out the opening for the strut. Using this method, I ended up with a fairly tight seal around the strut.
Rather than using the standard plastic inspection ring between the doily and the fabric, I used a piece of plastic from a plastic "For Sale" sign with the outside diameter the same as a standard inspection ring but with the inside cut out from the template.
John Propst
313 Hickory Grove Ln
Elizabeth, WV 26143
cell 304 588 3690
j.e.propst@ieee.org
N3129E 2WV3

Dennis

Post by Dennis » Thu Oct 31, 2013 08:46

First, I measured the angle (cut a large template) between the wing and strut on a flying champ. With my wing upside down on the rebuild table, I placed the rear strut in position at the angle previously measured and positioned the inspection ring.

I have not covered the balance of the hole, YET! When I get around to it, I'll fabricate a strut fairing like on a Citabria.

However, I like jepropst idea of cutting a custom fit ID inspection ring.

Dennis

pmanton

Post by pmanton » Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:06

Thanks guys you've given me some ideas.

Paul

james gevay

Post by james gevay » Fri Nov 01, 2013 14:04

Here's a photo I took of a real nice Tri-Champ at Oshkosh this year.