Fuselage envelope

Fabric and covering. Fabric, dopes, paint and everything associated with the coverings on our planes.
brink

Fuselage envelope

Post by brink » Wed Dec 12, 2018 09:56

Got a Polyfibre envelope for my 7AC Champ and Ceconite is now owned by Polyfibre or Consolidated materials. I ordered it thru Aircraft Spruce, apparently they meaning Aircraft Spruce sub contracts the envelopes to an outside source. So it’s backordered,takes 4 to 6 weeks. That takes the material and assembly’s the fuselage envelope, the envelope came in a box, with the plastic see thru envelope attached receipt from Spruce I called them, because this envelope came inside out, I pulled it back thru,and all the Polyfibre stamps are now on the out side, not on the inside of the cover. I’ve always used the blanket method this is my first Envelope. Shouldn’t the flap stitch be on the inside not outside of the envelope. Question I think this is an oh shit, am I right?

hangerash

Re: Fuselage envelope

Post by hangerash » Wed Dec 12, 2018 14:42

Brink-

I've used envelopes twice and won't do it again. Once on wings where holding the seam straight was a nightmare and the second on a 7AC Champ that the envelope would not pull forward over the cabin section and I had to cut the fabric on a line from the rear windows.

I have bought parts from Aircraft Spruce only to find the package containing the part might read Wag-Aero or Univair. Had the same experience with Wag-Aero getting a part supplied by Aircraft Spruce.

The blanket method has been the best solution to do an outstanding job.
Richard

brink

Re: Fuselage envelope

Post by brink » Fri Dec 14, 2018 00:23

Ya according to a DER I am right, but the fabric decal will probably show up after the fabric finish is applied very special ink, but just in case, that’s not the case, this is what you do. My good buddy (snooze) X-FedEx Capt. helped me out, and provided a fabric Swatch with the fabric Identifier logo. Off to Kinkos, another FedEx operation, got to keep it in the family you know! Starting on the 337 trying to keep up with the project paperwork, l hate Paperwork but you got to do it. Hey guys Merry Christmas.