AUA Insurance transfered to AOPA-Are you satisfied with them

Insurance and various paperwork needed for our planes
wwiilbird

AUA Insurance transfered to AOPA-Are you satisfied with them

Post by wwiilbird » Fri Jan 03, 2014 14:37

I'm a long time EAA and AOPA member and I had my 42 & 43 L3B insured with EAA's company - AUA. Accounts at AUA were transferred to AOPA Insurance (AI) middle of last year when EAA disassociated with AUA. I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced poor servicing by AOPA Insurance? Here are a few of my recent experiences.

I owned 2 airplanes at the same time and had sold one of my L3's 8/31/13 and asked the agent at AI to remove one plane from my policy the first week of September. That wasn't done. I called a month later was given a story about clerical error and that a partial refund check would be mailed to me. As of today still no refund check. I emailed AI earlier this week and received a response that they would look into why the refund is taking so long.

Meanwhile my 42 L3B was undergoing restoration and ready to be test flown in August. I asked AI to bump up my insurance and add two test pilots to my policy. This was done timely however my insurance went from $784 to over $1,000 for $30,000 coverage (bumped up from $18,000). This seems a bit high to me (I have about 400 hours of which over 150 are in L3's). Are you paying less for the same coverage?

The added pilots are active and retired airline pilots with thousands of hours and lots of tailwheel time. I'm assuming the cost increase is due to higher hull value. When I received the updated endorsement notice along with the price increase invoice (mid October), I noticed one pilot name was correct and the other was a wrong name and I never heard of the fellow. I called to point this out and they said this would be corrected. At that point I told them my plane was completed, test flown, and delivered and to please remove both names from my policy. They said this would be done.

First week of December I received my renewal notice (I renew 1/21/14) and one test pilot was removed but the other (wrong name) wasn't. 12/5 I sent AOPA my updated information (BFR, Medical, etc). So far as of today no renewal policy or invoice for coverage. In my email sent earlier this week to inquire about the refund check, I also asked about my policy renewal. The response was sorry for the delay we shop around for the best price and we'll get back with you shortly.

I emailed AOPA HQ back in October to provide my feedback about a poor experience with AOPA insurance and the need for my constant follow up, I never received a response from AOPA. Has anyone has this type of experience with AOPA or AI? I'm seriously considering switching back to EAA Insurance, I never had an issue with them .

Nick

Paul Agaliotis

Re: AUA Insurance transfered to AOPA-Are you satisfied with

Post by Paul Agaliotis » Fri Jan 03, 2014 17:05

Nick,
I use Avemco. No problems and cost is about $400 a year. Any pilot rated in the plane and with my permission can fly the plane. It's called something like a un-named pilot clause. I don't have any hull coverage on the plane because the cost is about 10% of coverage per year. And if they pay-out you have to give them the plane.
I'd drop what ever you have including the EAA and get something that works for you.
Paul
Mailing Adress : Paul Agaliotis 2060 E. San Martin, San Martin,Calif. 95046

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Fri Jan 03, 2014 17:53

For whatever it's worth I pay $688 for my L16A through a broker (Aero Insurance) and AIG as the carrier. That's with an open pilot clause with $500/000. 100,000, 5000 limits and hull value of $30,000. If I dropped the hull it would be about the $400 as Paul mentioned. I have around 1050 hours and 350 in type (tailwheel). My insurance is due again in March but it never seems to go up much. I apparently get a bit of a discount as a EAA member and an occasional safety seminar. My friend who is a CFI and more hours, has a similiar L16A and checked with this company but his quote was quite a bit higher. Unable to explain that other than I've been with the same broker for several years. Avemco is good insurance but I found them somewhat higher for the same coverage but here again I'd be starting on the bottom of the 'totem pole'. Of course your insurance is only as good as the pay off once you need it. Kind of like 'life insurance'..... I'd just as soon not collect :roll: .

Mike

wwiilbird

Post by wwiilbird » Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:13

Thank you for the replies. I am going to give AI a week to get back to me with a price quote then look at other companies if I don't hear from them. It seems to me like AIG is the big player in aircraft insurance and everyone I've dealt with are independent agents. I have not tried Avemco.

As a side note, in 2007 I had a bird strike and lost 8-10 inches off my wood prop on base to final into my airport and ended up putting my plane down. It was totaled. I ended up settling with the insurance company and kept the totaled plane. They wanted the plane and we're going to take it apart and truck it from Northern NJ to Delaware and put it on the auction block and told me if I wanted it I could bid on it. I told them that was ridiculous and instead we agreed they took $5,000 out of my check and paid me the balance of my policy. Except for the fuselage and landing gears the rest of the plane was in good shape except for some minor damage the towing company did when they hooked their winch cable and dragged the plane onto their flat bed truck for the ride to the airport. My bird strike incident was recently mentioned in EAA's Sport Aviation magazine.