7BCM-173

Any Aeronca built during a war or flown for use by the armed services.
hangerash

7BCM-173

Post by hangerash » Mon Jul 24, 2017 05:35

I was passed an email from Stan Janicek seeking information about this Bulletin Board so he could list his 7BCM-173, which had suffered a left gear failure when landing. Stan related the woes many feel when they need major maintenance or repairs and their go-to-guy, who knew everything about Aeronca aircraft, has died and there simply no-one around who will work on an old airplane for a reasonable amout of money. Stan has decided he has reached an age in life where he no longer whishes to fly anymore or spend the money to repair this original 7BCM, so he has decided to offer this project for sale.

7BCM-173 was manufactured in 1947 and imported into Canada October 1, 1974. Its previous owner was issued a CoA in 1984 and the aircraft was located in Sussex, New Brunswick. Its present owner purchased the aircraft with 2374 hours total time and registered it June 3, 1993. He has kept it hangared in Woodstock, Ontario. Its C-85 was rebuilt to '0' time in 1997 following the STC and using an O-200 crankshaft and new parts. The present total time is 3700 hours more or less.

When the left gear collapsed on landing recently, there was a slight touch by one of the prop blades on the ground. This 7BCM-173 is available AS-IS. You can email Stan (janicek@rogers.com) with questions or to negotiate a price or PM me and I will pass along your questions.

Richard

Paul Agaliotis

Re: 7BCM-173

Post by Paul Agaliotis » Wed Jul 26, 2017 17:10

Richard,
It looks like it's fixable.
The problem is, it's like an old girlfriend of mine. She was GU................................. Geographically Undesirable.
Like to have it but it's just too far away.
Paul
Mailing Adress : Paul Agaliotis 2060 E. San Martin, San Martin,Calif. 95046

hangerash

Post by hangerash » Thu Jul 27, 2017 21:51

Paul it looks to be an easy fix if you have a TIG welder and some talent. If it wasn't in a country I love who frowns upon foreigners working in their country I'd take the TIG across the border and lend some support to save this gem. I have an extra 'A' frame or two and a couple of axles too. When I get back to Ohio next week, I may just drive a couple of hundred miles and pay Stan a visit.
Richard

hangerash

Post by hangerash » Thu Sep 21, 2017 21:25

Stan has asked me to pass the news this Champ has SOLD and thanks everyone for their interest.
Richard

Paul Agaliotis

Post by Paul Agaliotis » Fri Sep 22, 2017 09:59

Thanks Richard for keeping track of this for the group.
Too many planes just disappear into the corn and found later to be scrapped or parted out.

I spent a lot of time tracking down a Packard diesel radial, aircraft engine. Only to find out a junk man came in and "cleaned up" the area.
Paul
Mailing Adress : Paul Agaliotis 2060 E. San Martin, San Martin,Calif. 95046

hangerash

Post by hangerash » Fri Sep 22, 2017 15:50

Paul, I asked him to pass along the new buyer or invite him to join our group. Stan said he thought the buyer was going Canada ultra-light user maintenance and didn't think he'd be joining us. I have a few people in Canada who will still speak to me :lol: and maybe we can keep tabs on it.
Richard