Lets get this started

roberd42

Re: Lets get this started

Post by roberd42 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 20:45

Im a CFI and do tailwheel endorsements and LSA training. I work around east central georgia and west central south carolina in my chief or owners airplanes. Feel free to give me a shout. williamscottrobertson@yahoo.com
1939 65-LA N24206, Based KHQU

Rick Hadley

Post by Rick Hadley » Tue Jul 13, 2010 20:54

I'm working with a great young CFI who specializes in tailwheel instruction - Casey Hansen...you can find him on Facebook or PM me for contact info if you're in the Cedar Rapids, IA vicinity and looking for an instructor.
Rick
11AC Chief
NC86196

Aerco

Post by Aerco » Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:07

I'm working hard on becoming a CFI-SP. I have my written tests done, but need to get more familiar with the aircraft before I presume to teach anyone anything. Was hoping to buy a Champ or similar, but to get a $25,000 loan from the bank these days, they wanted $26,000 in collateral first. Gee, thanks. I have my L3, but in a million pieces - it will be a couple of years.
Meanwhile I was lucky enough to find a club with a Piper Cub - yes, I know, I know..... If there was a Champ around I'd use that, but I'll have to work with what I've got. Unless I can find somebody to owner-finance me a Champ or L3 as a suitable trainer (speak up now!), I have to do it this way.

I only discovered last year that CFIs only need a Class 3 medical (and none for Sport Pilot CFI). For somebody who always wanted to to something with flying, but can't get a Class 2, this has been a revelation. This is all I ever wanted to do and I am hoping to specialize in old-school, tailwheel basic flying training.

roberd42

Post by roberd42 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:57

Glad to hear there are still folks interested in training in these airplanes. I'm a CFII and have put one person through the light sport certificate so far. I wish the CFI-S would have been around when I was trying to get my CFI. All CFI initial ratings (except light sport) have to be taken with an FAA Inspector from the local FSDO. However, if you have a CFI-S, you can take your CFI with a DPE. Not a bad deal at all.

Oh yes, I am also currently taking the Light Sport Repairman Maintenance (Airplane) Certificate course with hope for an A&P 30 months down the road. Unfortunately, I cannot work on my Chief as it was certificated with a Standard Airworthiness. LSRMs can only work on S-LSAs and E-LSAs. Kind of a bummer there.
1939 65-LA N24206, Based KHQU

taylorj2cub

Post by taylorj2cub » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:57

I do offer tailwheel instruction. I'm a 11,000 hour TT, 4,000 Hr CFI. I can give instruction in your airplane, or my Husky. I'm in Northern California, can travel to give a tailwheel endorsment. You can call me for more details.
Doug Griffin
(530) 200-5810

jc pacquin

Post by jc pacquin » Fri Aug 06, 2010 20:35

harford county airpark...0W3 Northeastern Maryland, 150 HP Citabria, ask for Dwane. )He's GOOD!) JP

Jerry Eichenberger

Post by Jerry Eichenberger » Tue Aug 17, 2010 08:59

We do light sport training in two different airplanes at our FBO, PrimeAERO, Inc., located at the Union County Airport (KMRT) in Marysville, Ohio, about 16 miles northwest of Columbus, Ohio. Phone number is 937-644-2055.

We have a Champ, converted to L-16 configuration, with full electrics including starter and radio. It currently rents for $82 per hour, and is a full rental airplane - a renter pilot can solo, take passengers, go anywhere, just like anything else. Watch out that some FBOs who say they rent tailwheel airplanes actually limit the renter to local flying only and don't allow a renter to go anywhere and shut off the engine, due to hand propping restrictions. Our Champ isn't affected by that limit, since it has a normal electric starter.

We also use a Tecnam Eaglet with full glass cockpit, autopilot, etc. for those who want to fly a modern LSA. It rents for $99 per hour. We are a Tecnam sales agent and a Tecnam service center.

We have 4 different CFIs who teach in both airplanes.

Jerry Eichenberger
Jerry A. Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
614-798-1600

jimknuck

Post by jimknuck » Sat Sep 25, 2010 22:59

Cornelia Georgia, I share a hanger with a CFI that has taught tailwheel flying for the past 50 years, he uses a Taylorcraft L 2 and is absolutely the best. I have my Chief parked in his hanger and if you are wanting to have the best tailwheel instruction available call the Habersham County Airport and ask for tailwheel instruction with Jim Tatum.

TexasTailwheel

Post by TexasTailwheel » Thu Oct 04, 2012 19:13

If you are looking for tailwheel or LSA work in Central Texas, I'm moving my business up here. I've been in the San Antonio are with the Piper Cub at Boerne Stage (5C1) and am still there for the present, but am residing just west of Austin. My website is: www.texastailwheel.com and I'm thinking pretty seriously about having a Champ on the line soon.

Ryan

rkittine

Post by rkittine » Fri Oct 05, 2012 08:41

Hi All,

I am also a CFI, retired commercial pilot and do Tailwheel Endorsements in my 7CCM Champ, as well as Primary instruction and Light Sport instruction in the plane. With the C-90 and a seaplane prop, I can get myself and another pretty big person up in the air easily, though we don't go anywhere too fast. :lol:

I will again be giving LSA / Regular Seaplane Instruction in an Aeronca Chief with an O-200 on EDO 1400s.

I fly tailwheel, LSA and Sea out of Warwick Valley Municipal Airport - N72 - In Warwick New York and do Instrument, Multi-Engine, High Altitude, Presurized and other ratings / endorsements, out of East Hampton Airport, HTO, in East Hampton, Long Island, New York.

Ciao - Bob
Robert P. Kittine, Jr.WA2YDV
West Nyack Aviation, L.L.C.
New York, New York 631-374-9652
rkittine@aol.com

Champ Dreamer

Post by Champ Dreamer » Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:09

Is anyone aware of an Instructor in the Houston area with a Champ or even a Citabria? I will be down there in a couple of weeks and sure would like to get a little "refresher" dual before flying my Champ (finally).

Brian Walker
7AC now DC