New Chief owner

Post-War Aeronca Chief airplanes
flyerdave

New Chief owner

Post by flyerdave »

I just bought my first airplane in november of last year, a nicely restored 11AC with only 65 hours since major on the engine and complete restoration of the plane in general. Working on my sport pilot training and really getting to know the airplane.I am now about to go through my first annual inspection, she goes to the local FBO on tuesday. My question is about something very minor, the air vents on the side of the fuselage. Nothing really wrong with them,they do let in air, but the way the vent scoop is shaped the airflow is minimal.When the vents are turned with the opening to the front the rounded shape of the vent only allows it to catch a small amount of air( seems like if the scoop were reshaped or enlarged, it could pull in a lot more air ).I know every change or alteration on the plane must be an approved change, but this is only changing the air vent. Has anyone ever done anything like this, is there another type vent made, or am I just going to have to suffer through this North Carolina summer with the small amount of airflow I'm getting now? Thanks

skyking3286

Re: New Chief owner

Post by skyking3286 »

With both windows opened, you will not notice a thing! The air vents help keep your toes cooler, but the windows in my Chief are pretty much open from engine start to shut down in the summer. You don't want the drag of a bigger vent.
Mark Peterson
Harvey Field, WA
A copy of my old Chief website is preserved here:

http://www.reocities.com/mrpeters.geo/index.html

Paul Agaliotis

Post by Paul Agaliotis »

Welcome Dave,
Those little vents will allow enough air to get a little circulation but not much more. I would look at sliding windows for the doors, or just pull the doors off for those really hot days. Keep tabs on the local FBO and don't end up paying for their learning curve on the Chief.
Congratulations on your new Chief and hope to see you in Middletown on June 14-17.
Paul
Mailing Adress : Paul Agaliotis 2060 E. San Martin, San Martin,Calif. 95046

rkittine

Post by rkittine »

Congratulations on your new Chief. I loved my Chief. I agree with the others on Summer Time Windows open or doors off. Consider a seaplane door. No more Chief, but more room for me in the Sedan.

Bob
Robert P. Kittine, Jr.WA2YDV
West Nyack Aviation, L.L.C.
New York, New York 631-374-9652
rkittine@aol.com

bob turner

Post by bob turner »

New Chief here, too - belongs to two really nice guys. I flew it from Florida to San Diego last month. Sliding windows work great!

I was not so sure when I picked it up - weak left brake, no real radio, leaky gas gauge in back. But I learned to love it on the exciting way west.

So now a couple questions: how do you search for the type certificate data sheets? Is an A-75 legal, and if so can the 70 DK prop be used? Does it have to have instrument markings? A form 309?

Thanks! Bob

bob turner

Post by bob turner »

New Chief here, too - belongs to two really nice guys. I flew it from Florida to San Diego last month. Sliding windows work great!

I was not so sure when I picked it up - weak left brake, no real radio, leaky gas gauge in back. But I learned to love it on the exciting way west.

So now a couple questions: how do you search for the type certificate data sheets? Is an A-75 legal, and if so can the 70 DK prop be used? Does it have to have instrument markings? A form 309?

Thanks! Bob

rkittine

Post by rkittine »

rkittine@aol.com

Paul Agaliotis

Post by Paul Agaliotis »

Bob,
Don't waste your time on the A75. If they need more power put in a C85.
Glad to here you had a great trip, the Chief is a nice little plane.
Trying to get down your way this summer. School is out so I will have more time.
Paul

hangerash

Post by hangerash »

Congratulations Bob!

Every hour I spent in the Chief when we got it made the smile on my face get a little wider.

What Paul and the others have said about the Windows.

The A-75 is little more than 'feel-good' hp. Same engine that turns a little faster. Bill Pancake's C-85 STC is the best $310 investment you can make if you need more hp.
Richard

bob turner

Post by bob turner »

I think the owners have thirty or so hours on it since I brought it back from Florida. Like the J-4, this little thing takes some getting used to - but once it is dialed in, it is a real pleasure to fly. Two of us, minimum fuel, and those buildings north of 28 Right are dauntingly close to our crosswind altitude.

Paul - let me know - I will give you a quick tour.

Paul Agaliotis

Post by Paul Agaliotis »

Thanks Bob,
Headed to Ohio on Sunday night and will try to get down your way once I get back.
Paul

rkittine

Post by rkittine »

I also had an interesting start flying a Chief. I owned mine for 6 years on straight floats before I ever flew it on wheels and after hundreds of hours in a Champ, it was a big difference. Did the same thing with a Piper J-4A, only on floats for quite a number of hours and then on wheels with more time to get comfortable than I would have thought I would have needed.

Bob
rkittine@aol.com