National Aeronca Association Bulletin Board

A discussion group for all Aeronca owners and fans
It is currently Sun Sep 14, 2014 21:02

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: fuel gage
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 16:51 

Does anyone have any photos of the Champ fuel gage components? The print is missing from the DVD. My champ has a bobber installed and the fuel gage window is a blank. The bezel seems to be a fiber material. It does not want to unscrew easily. I am loath to grab it with a pair of channel locks until I know more about it.

In addition I sure like to know where to get the gage components. I can find nothing on the Wag Aero Web Site.

Thanks much

Paul
N83803
N1431A
2AZ1

Post subject: Re: fuel gage
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 00:08 

No drawings while I'm on the road, but here's the gauge and rebuild kit. It's a straight up Ford Model A fuel gauge.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/i ... -00029.php

nkh

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 02:59 

Attached is a photo of the fuel guage (sorry, haven't figured out how to make the photo smaller to fit window)
Attachment:
fuel gauge.jpg
fuel gauge.jpg [ 250.63 KiB | Viewed 915 times ]

cell 304 588 3690
j.e.propst@ieee.org
N3129E 2WV3

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 04:31 

Hi John,

Your photo is showing 3277 x 1501 pixels. If you have a photo editor use "Open With", click on Microsoft Editor - most common standard supplied one) On the upper tool bar click on "Picture", then on the pull down you get, click "Resize" and then on the right had size check "Percentage" and if you change 100 percent to 30% it should fit fine. I usually then "Save As" the file name with - RS meaning it was resized and when you go to close it, you will be asked if you want to save the original and say NO or you will also turn the original into a resized version. This way you will have both.

rkittine@aol.com

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 05:38 

You can also try this outfit for parts. As Nathan says it's pretty much a Model A Ford gauge. They also have some of the tools although I borrowed them from a friend of mine. Hope this is some help.
http://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/modelaparts

MikeB

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:51 

Once I have the FAA-PMA model A guage in hand, does the float arm need any modification to read correctly?

Thanks
:)
Paul
N83803
N1431A
2AZ1

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 13:09 

Yes, but the only thing you need to worry about is that the empty tank is actually E on the gauge. Other than that, you use your
wristwatch, a dipstick and your conservative 4.5 gal per hour on a A65 to judge the fuel in the tank. And remember we would still
have John Denver with us if he only took off with full tanks every time...or at least sticked them to check.

http://www.reocities.com/mrpeters.geo/index.html

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 18:46 

Each time a fuel gauge question comes up the standard "Ford Model A" solution arises. Does anyone have specific information on how the aeronca's were built ? Did they really just copy a 1915 design or is there somewhere a set of drawings which actually shows how the parts were made and installed. (at least for a post war Chief where my primary interest is)

Dale

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 20:08 

Dale,
The originals used a rack and pinion set up. The float drove the rack gear and the indication was driven with a pinion gear. Over the years the mechanism gets sloppy and the gears slip. The indication gets unreliable.
The A gauge is direct reading, the float drives the indication. The stock length is close but you still have a little bit of a compromise. The FAR's have the accuracy checked at the empty setting. It's not the best solution but it's workable.
Paul

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 04:53 

Paul,

Thank you for your response. Except for the drawings part. I imagine that some restorers have or have rebuilt the original fuel monitoring system into their aircraft. It shouldn't be too hard to meet the E on Empty requirement and maybe the rack and pinon setup provides a smoother in-flight indication than my post war Chief with its' Model A type bouncer. Yes I fly by gallons and time but still wonder if the original wasn't better than mine. Have you ever flown an Aeronca with the original style gauge ?

Dale

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 07:23 

"Mike's A-Fordable Parts" I think he is in Alabama, but sure doesn't sound like that's home (strong Brit accent). He can sell you a new aftermarket model A fuel gauge for thirty something bucks. Make sure you buy the tool from him, definitely worth the few extra bucks. You will have to modify the gauge, the wire arm is too long for a Champ. Also, I believe I have a couple of old gauges I'd consider selling.

Brian Walker
'46 7 AC

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 13:56 

Dale,
My Champs have the original gauges. They actually bounce around more than the replacements.
The gearing inside is pretty small and brass,once worn it's kinda hard to fix. Some of the early Citabria parts work, outer nut and gaskets.
This information is for the nose tanks. The rear tanks have a horse of a different color.
Paul

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 18:03 

I used to trust a gage in a light aircraft, Champ, Mooney, whatever. No more. Go to paint store, get free wooden paintstick. Fill tank. Magic mark where wet meets dry. Use from then on and you will never run out of gas unless you really try to. Many years ago I trusted the gage on a Mooney and it quit just after touch down. Real dumb. Never without my paint stick after that. The gage on my 7BCM always leaked when full, so I never filled it all the way up, and used a stick. Worked fine.JP