C90-12 in 7AC

Post-War Aeronca Champ airplanes
hangerash

Re: C90-12 in 7AC

Post by hangerash » Mon Apr 20, 2015 20:50

Back in 1978 I attended a Flight Instructor Refresher Course put on by the AOPA in Gaithersburg, Maryland and John Yodice spoke at one of the sessions. He said when he represents a plaintiff in an aviation suit they go through the pilot's log book and the aircraft log books and name everyone whose name appears therein. The reason he explained was to find out who had any money. Sad to think this is the reality we live with. As Robert K stated
Best to have no assets and very shallow pockets!
Richard

bob turner

Post by bob turner » Fri Apr 24, 2015 21:57

This has taken an interesting turn. Ten million dollars of liability insurance is probably only for folks with truly vast assets. For most of us, a million will do. It would be nice to have a million smooth, but the cost is prohibitive, so make sure it is 100,000 per occupant, not per person.

It is true that you cannot sign away your liability for a tort, but you can and should do something about hull, if you are flying in somebody else's airplane, and you can get indemnified for that. As a CFI, I will not get in an airplane I cannot afford to buy, unless I am indemnified or have a waiver of subrogation.

If you do any instruction, SAFE has a policy that covers you for liability, even in the above horror show where they name you 15 years later. And that insurer provides the lawyers and legal expenses in addition to the million. I spend $500/ year for it, and only $280/ year for liability in my Cub - so you can see the exposure as a CFI is twice that of an ordinary pilot.

Nice that the three of us are keeping this very worthwhile forum alive.

pmanton

Post by pmanton » Sat Apr 25, 2015 13:54

so make sure it is 100,000 per occupant, not per person.

What's the difference?

bob turner

Post by bob turner » Sun Apr 26, 2015 02:52

Per person means you have to kill ten people on the ground to get a million coverage. Per occupant means that person on the ground you chop up can get a mil. Wanna guess how high a hospital bill can go if some person outside the aircraft is hurt?

Try not to hurt anybody, but if you buy insurance, buy it smart.

rkittine

Post by rkittine » Sun Apr 26, 2015 15:12

The problem in this country is that you do not have to have much of a reason to bring a law suit and then you have to defend yourself, which can get pretty costly with regard to legal fees. Been there, paid some prettyy stiff expenses to get exhonerated. Waiver or not, it can still cost you a lot to win.

Bob
Robert P. Kittine, Jr.WA2YDV
West Nyack Aviation, L.L.C.
New York, New York 631-374-9652
rkittine@aol.com

bob turner

Post by bob turner » Sun Apr 26, 2015 22:22

The waiver just stops the insurance company who pays the owner from subrogating against you. Each pilot is responsible for his/her own liability insurance, and if you are on somebody else's policy, it must say "additional insured" or you are simply not covered.

If you get " named" on your friend's policy, only he/she is covered, not you. Insurance companies are sneaky that way.

JDM-AZ

Post by JDM-AZ » Fri May 01, 2015 09:53

Not to hijack the thread, but this is exactly the type of dialog, the exchange of questions, knowledge and ideas in a retrievable format, that is what I enjoy so much about forums such as this, as opposed to Facebook.

ok...I'll get off my soapbox.

:lol:
JDM-AZ
Central Arizona

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable