Rear window installation.

Post-War Aeronca Champ airplanes
dlrude

Rear window installation.

Post by dlrude » Sat Nov 14, 2015 19:17

Hi all,
I purchased new rear window frames for Rainbow flying service, new window glass from WagAero and a used set of window fairings.

They are all high quality excellent parts.

I noticed though that when I install the window glass and fairing on the plane that the window glass is not clamped tight into place but rather is loose, rattles and probably will move.

I see from the Aeronca drawing that they cemented the bottom of the window in. I cannot do that.

Thinking about setting the glass in a layer of clear silicone as I did on my T-craft. Or I could get some rubber channel and put that around the edge of the glass.

I was wondering what you guys have been doing? How did you deal with this, besides get thicker windows.

Thanks, Dave.

DELCOM

Re: Rear window installation.

Post by DELCOM » Sat Nov 14, 2015 20:45

Dave
Keep in mind if you ever have to replace a rear window you have to deal with how well you cemented it in. On mine I drilled slightly larger holes in the window so that the attachment screws had plenty of clearance, then just spot silicon here and there around the window. Another spot to look at is how well the window fairing lay down when screwed in place. "do they align with both fabric and plexiglass" The time to correct this is early while you still have wood only.
N84029 7AC conv. #2716 Completed and flying
N83059 7BCM #1715 fully restored and sold

DELCOM

Post by DELCOM » Sat Nov 14, 2015 20:45

Dave
Keep in mind if you ever have to replace a rear window you have to deal with how well you cemented it in. On mine I drilled slightly larger holes in the window so that the attachment screws had plenty of clearance, then just spot silicon here and there around the window. Another spot to look at is how well the window fairing lay down when screwed in place. "do they align with both fabric and plexiglass" The time to correct this is early while you still have wood only.

Del
N84029 7AC conv. #2716 Completed and flying
N83059 7BCM #1715 fully restored and sold

dikholder

Post by dikholder » Tue Nov 17, 2015 16:51

I used automotive butyl rubber window sealant that comes from NAPA in a box. The sealant is in a round bead which is on a wax paper type of packing. It is soft and formable with your fingers. One box was enough to set both windows with a bead between the plexiglass and the wood. It seems to be working fine.

Dik, N1441H Queen of the Berry Patch

dlrude

Post by dlrude » Wed Nov 25, 2015 18:16

Thanks for the advice and insights guys.

Dave

dlrude

Post by dlrude » Wed Nov 25, 2015 18:16

Thanks for the advice and insights guys.

Dave