Experimental Sedan - Heresy?

Aeronca Sedan Airplanes
Jon B.

Experimental Sedan - Heresy?

Post by Jon B. » Wed Sep 13, 2006 09:30

Would I be black-listed for even mentioning this out loud?

I realize there are getting to be fewer Sedans left in flying condition but I'm getting this idea in my head. The thought of finding a badly-neglected project and rebuilding it as a SuperSedan is intriguing to me.

Mainly, I'd likely use only the airframe and the wings, building or radically rebuilding the rest. Firewall forward would be new, as would the landing gear and most of the tail. The interior would be very spartan (Spartan?) with extended baggage areas, cargo tie-downs and quick-removal seats (except the left front seat). Add flaps - big ones - and have them come down 45-50 degrees for aerodynamic braking. The gear legs would be Super Cub type - both long and strong. On the front would be at least 180 horses and a CS or a long, flat, Borer-type prop.

It could be made lighter by having only a single set of controls, maybe. That might not be worth the effort, though.

Am I mentioning the unmentionable? Please don't shun me! I haven't actually *done* anything. Yet.

Jon B.
Jon B.

Muskokabob

Sedan Project

Post by Muskokabob » Wed Sep 13, 2006 15:59

I believe that you would have to really beef up the wing spars. Some time in the past they put flaps on a Sedan and 1. it didn't make much of a difference, and 2. the extra load overstressed the wing spars.

Bob

joea
Site Admin

Post by joea » Wed Sep 13, 2006 16:36

Jon,

You are lucky I am not in a "banning" mood today! :)

If you found an airplane that had been damaged or needed some work it might be a fun project. Gregg Horrell from Tucson was taking a Cessna spray plane and turning it into and single seater "airborne SUV" and that sure sounded like a good idea.

Draw up some rough plans and suggestions and post them here again.

Joe A

Paul Agaliotis

Post by Paul Agaliotis » Wed Sep 13, 2006 18:02

Jon,
I wouldn,t chop up a Sedan to accomplish your goals. I don,t think the flaps will help as the Sedan has an abundance of aerodynamic drag built in. Put a TIO541 on the nose for climb and spoilers in the wings to help you descend. Add an extra bungee for the rough fields and tundra tires. You should be able to anywhere in the world with an aircraft equipt this way.
Paul
Mailing Adress : Paul Agaliotis 2060 E. San Martin, San Martin,Calif. 95046

Nathan K. Hammond

Post by Nathan K. Hammond » Wed Sep 13, 2006 19:02

DO IT!

But go ahead and build up a new set of wings. Dig around the NACA and Riblett books to find the perfect airfoil, and then get someone like D/E to stamp out some ribs. Then you could fab up some 30-40 gallon tanks for the long hauls, plus you wouldn't need a belly tank then. Even though flaps really aren't needed to land, they certainly would help jerk the plane off the ground in those tight places. VG's on every surface. Biggest engine you could fit under the cowl; no replacement for displacement :wink: . Build up the fuselage like a Maule so you could have a door big enough to fit a snow-cat in. I think it's a great idea; I'd get a kick out of doing it to a Champ.

And consider this; What if Aeronca had never continued to improve the original 7AC. We never would have had the Citabria line, nor the Decathalon's, or the evolution into the Scout. I had the same thoughts a couple years ago, should I keep my Champ as original as possible, or make it work for ME. I figure it's the natural evolution of the airplane.

What would Aeronca have next to the Sedan? I think Jon's onto something.

nkh
7AC-5691
Super 85-12F @ DVK

Ron Babos

sedan

Post by Ron Babos » Wed Sep 13, 2006 20:49

Jon B: They're fairly understanding. I havn't been kicked off for altering my Champ, or engine, yet. As good as any plane comes out of the box, there is always room for improvment or personalization. One rule of thumb. Keep it light, keep it light. Got it? :) A lead slead won't do anything you want it to. Lots of lift and brute horsepower is what you want :wink:
Ron
Before you believe anything I say, check with two more people. If they agree, I must be right.

Jon B.

Post by Jon B. » Thu Sep 14, 2006 09:47

joea wrote:Jon,

You are lucky I am not in a "banning" mood today! :)

If you found an airplane that had been damaged or needed some work it might be a fun project. Gregg Horrell from Tucson was taking a Cessna spray plane and turning it into and single seater "airborne SUV" and that sure sounded like a good idea.

Draw up some rough plans and suggestions and post them here again.

Joe A
Joe:

I've seen a couple of Piper PA-25 Pawnees that have been tweaked for personal use. They've *got* to be fun to fly! Use the spray tank as a baggage bin - room and payload both covered. The Eagle ag-plane would be a hoot, also; a 55-foot span bi-plane! Lift? Oh, yeah!

And thanks, all, for not condemning me for dreaming. A SuperChamp would be a whole lotta fun, too but lacks room. Well, not for a single person but it ain't a Sedan!

Jon B.
Jon B.

sedanpilot

Post by sedanpilot » Mon Sep 18, 2006 14:26

Personally, I am not into banning either. It's your ariplane, I don't think anyone should feed guilty for going experimental.

On the flaps, Atlee Dodge tried it many years ago and broke it. His was a simple plain flap. Others have also done it, but you REALLY NEED to beef up the wing. especially the rear spar and probably the wing skins inboard where the flaps are.

There is a good book on airfoils called Thoery of Wing Sections by Abbot and VonDenhoff. If you do it, I would give it a read. Because of the extra pitching moment, the Sedan may need more tail power to keep the nose up. Especialy if you put an extra heavy engine up front. (Watch the center engine mount pick up point, it will probably need beefing up if you go to a heavier motor)