Need some help from the Sedan owners on the group!

Aeronca Sedan Airplanes
joea
Site Admin

Need some help from the Sedan owners on the group!

Post by joea » Tue Aug 19, 2008 05:10

I am about 10 days away from going to Ohio and picking up my "new" Sedan.

What tips do you guys have for a new Sedan owner? What did you learn about the airplane that you did not know? Any surprises?

I have about 10-12 hours in Gareth's Sedan but that was 4-5 years ago and at my age forget what I had for lunch two days ago. Remember that the approach speed was something like 65 or so and slowing to 55 once over the runway and close to ground effect. Do you guys three point or wheel land the airplane? Seem to remember that the airplane feels better three pointing it but welcome to any suggestions.

Any suggestions you Sedan owners have would sure help! I know its like a Chief on steroids but still its a different airplane.

Am flying from Southern Ohio on the 29th or so and if possible will make Ray Johnson's "Fly in-Cruise In" up in Marion then head SW. That first leg would give me just about 1 hour on the plane as per Tony's and Tom's suggestion so I can check fuel burn and everything else, then was planning on 250-290 mile legs. Will post a route and if it gets close to other fAA or NAA members would love to stop for a coffee or more if possible.

Thx,

Joe A

Dennis

Post by Dennis » Tue Aug 19, 2008 09:03

Joe,

If you are coming through north Arkansas, let me know. I live on the airport at 7M2. Can put you up for the night if necessary but you might have to sleep with my little girl, Piper, if Bud, her brother, does not beat her to it.

Dennis

sedanpilot

Flying tips.

Post by sedanpilot » Tue Aug 19, 2008 16:54

Dennis: Welcome to the asylum!

65mph is about what I fly paterns as well. The book number for stall speed is 51 mph, but remember, she is a 60 year old lady and the a/s system may be a little out. I like to do a stall wings level after take off at a safe altitude with a new airplane to see what the number is before putting too much conficence in the number on the dial during a landing. Look for stall warning as well, it should be about 5 mph before the stall.

For takeoff, I usually look at the a/s indicator after I have picked up a bit of speed to make sure it is alive on the roll, abort if it is not, assuming I am at my home strip with 4K feet of asphault. Sometimes the little cover gets stuck. Once I had water freeze in the lines and split the tubing and the a/s was fubar. Climb out is 70 mph in the book but I usually get max VSI indicator a little slower.

You should check the static RPM as well. It depends on the prop, but the book number for the McCauley 1A170 76 inch prop (Unspecified pitch) is 2320 RPM. I usually get about 125 rpm carb heat drop at 1800 rpm on run up. Old air boxes are notorius for leaking so you may not be getting full factory new drop.

I like three point landing best myself, but the airplane does good wheel landings as well. For a tail dragger, the Sedan is pretty docile as long as you don't abuse her.

I have the C145 engine and a 76 inch prop pitched at 49 inches. At almost 100 mph, I burn about 8.8 gallons per hour. The stock airplane does not have a header tank, and has fairly long tanks spanwise with no outboard fuel pickup. This means that if you are in a slip, like on landing with a crosswind, the fuel can go to the outboard end of the tank, if you are low on gas, the motor can quit, even if you have some gas in the tank. Burl has a mod that adds a header tank to help this issue, but I don't have it. I did a sloppy turn once entering downwind after a long flight and it got rather quiet. I still had 5 gallons usable at the time. I got the ball centered, pumped the throttle, and all was fine.

There is an AD on the bladder tanks that requires a preflight inspection of the fuel vent and/or a mod to the system. You can read about it on Burl’s web site in the helps and hints section number 31. If you still have the stock system with the bladder tanks and don’t have the alternate under wing vent system, make sure you keep the vent clear. It comes out of the belly and should have a little airfoil thing behind it.

The Seadan is a great airplane and very easy to fly and maintain. It really does fly like an oversize champ. Have Fun!!!

joea
Site Admin

Post by joea » Wed Aug 27, 2008 03:48

Am picking up the Sedan tomorrow or Thursday morning and went to look at all the service letters. The quality is poor at best on some of them and when printed can barely be read. The first two that I looked at on the fuel system were not easy to read at all.

What does the inspection of the fuel vent system consist of? The Sedan I am getting has the rubber bladder fuel tanks and am assuming that it has the original external fuel vents.

Anyone know of a source for a better quality document for this information?

joea
Site Admin

Post by joea » Thu Aug 28, 2008 02:09

Pick up the airplane in a few hours. Started a new thread in the "General" section.