Alaska in the Fall

Aeronca Sedan Airplanes

joea
Site Admin

Re: Alaska in the Fall

Post by joea » Thu Sep 23, 2010 14:57

Let me help you a bit with this. Nice pic!

sedanpilot

Post by sedanpilot » Mon Sep 27, 2010 20:39

Here are a couple of others: The Sedan is on the left with the Knik Glacier in the background

A Sedan can take you to some really cool places!

sedanpilot

Post by sedanpilot » Mon Sep 27, 2010 21:11

Here is a fall picture of our sedan at the Bold airstrip at the east end of lake Eklutna in the Chugiak range. "There are old pilots and Bold pilots, but no old bold pilots" On the Alaska supplement this trip is 15 feet wide and 900 ft long. The surface undulates and there is usually a wind coming down the valley off the glacier. There are trees on one end and the valley ends in a glacier. If you overrun you are in the lake on the other end. Other than that its fine.........

It really is pretty. On the day I took this picture there was a nice big brown bear eating blue berries up the mountain side above the strip.

(P.S. it really isn't that scary, loaded like I was that day and with a bit of a head wind I only used up 1/2 of the runway and the 15 ft width is only the ground track, the trees are considerably wider)

Healy

Post by Healy » Mon Sep 27, 2010 22:59

You are right on the performance, this was 900 ft and I left with half moose and full tanks no wind. 180 helps, stop in healy some time. I saw you doing Laps one nice evening at birchwood in august. They are a great machine, I would like to visit bold airstrip with you.

sedanpilot

Post by sedanpilot » Tue Sep 28, 2010 22:27

I would love to drop in. I fly to Fairbanks to visit my folks fairly often and fly right over. I was wondering who that was the other day on the radio, not too many Sedans around and you can tell by the N number. Doing Bold on the right day would be fun, but only on the right day. A wind from the valley could ruin your day. I was wondering if it was Wolfgang, but the voice didn't sound right.

Give me a shout the next time you are around Birchwood. The weather is probably going to be a bit nasty for a while. Fall frequently closes in with fog at Birchwood rolling in off the Kink arm, cold air and warmer water and all. After it freezes, it clears up.

Matt

Post by Matt » Sat Oct 09, 2010 03:35

Beautiful pictures, friends!

Matt
Aeronca 15AC Sedan – Restoring and flying the classic 4-seater: http://www.n1331h.com

Healy

Post by Healy » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:15

joea
Site Admin

Post by joea » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:19

My God Healey.... with tires like that, you should be able to get in almost anywhere!

Nice shot!

Matt

Post by Matt » Thu Sep 20, 2012 14:40

A wonderful picture, Fred!

Enjoy this golden season in your impressive Sedan.

Matt
Aeronca 15AC Sedan – Restoring and flying the classic 4-seater: http://www.n1331h.com

Louis

Post by Louis » Thu Sep 20, 2012 19:37

Nice shot! It seems like the Fall colors are especially brilliant in the Interior this year.

Is that at the Monderosa? I heard the burgers are good there. Won't be flying the Sedan down this year...Maybe next!

sedanpilot

Post by sedanpilot » Wed Apr 10, 2013 23:45

How is it going Louis? Are you going to make it to the Moderosa for one of those burgers this summer?

joea
Site Admin

Post by joea » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:18

Dave,

I know that Louis is alive and kicking as he was seen recently in a photo with Todd Trainor and friends! Those guys are up there looking at rescuing a B-25 and ran into Louis somewhere, taking photos in the process.

Sure hope that he can get that Sedan up in the air and soon!

Joe A

Louis

Post by Louis » Sat Apr 13, 2013 20:46

Still here! My backside is still smarting from that kick in the rear that you told Todd to give me when he got here, Joe! .....no, he is actually a very nice guy and did not actually carry it out but probably should have :lol: . Todd and Patrick gave an excellent presentation on the B-25 recovery at our EAA chapter meeting last week and we had lunch last Sunday before they left.

The Sedan is coming along....slowly. I'm working on the inspection holes now. I have holes cut in one wing now and plan to finish the other soon after we return from our East Coast trip in a couple weeks. After peeking into the holes I'm cautiously optimistic about there not being any serious corrosion, but hope to have the inspection done before summer hits and see where I go from there.

Sedanpilot: We have not been to the Monderosa yet, but let me know if you're flying in there again and we'll meet you there for a burger....Louis

Healy

Post by Healy » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:14

The Fairbanks Airport Campground has to be the best anywhere!
Running water, showers, firewood
A great spot to meet some interesting folks flying through the area.