Spar Cap Angles Have Arrived, Cover/Doubler Kits on Hold

Aeronca Sedan Airplanes
AV8R2

Spar Cap Angles Have Arrived, Cover/Doubler Kits on Hold

Post by AV8R2 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 17:40

As of Monday, July 18, 2011, we will be able to ship out spar cap angles to those that already know they need them.
The upper cap angle is $250.00 each and the lower cap angle is $200.00 each. There will be a $25.00 crating charge added to each shipment. The packing/shipping tubes can hold, I'm guessing, up to 8 angles or enough for upper and lower caps for 2 planes.

Perhaps if several owners need angles it would save a lot of money to ship to one central point and everyone that ordered can pick up their order from there; splitting the freight and crating.

It will be the end of the month before the cover/doubler kits will be ready. The holdup at this point is tooling to blank the springs. I already have the forming die in hand. At present we have enough to make up kits for 50 planes and standing orders for about 10 of those sets. If you wish to order cover/doubler kits let me know. When this order runs out it will be at least 3-5 weeks lead time to refill our inventory.

I will post more as I receive more information.

Blue Skies and tailwinds to all,

Burl
When all else fails, go to the source. Factory Approved parts and data will get you back in the air.

Matt

Re: Spar Cap Angles Have Arrived, Cover/Doubler Kits on Hold

Post by Matt » Wed Jul 13, 2011 22:58

Thanks for the information, Burl,

Our Sedan seems to want to come apart, again: One of the two aileron bellcrank inspection covers in the upper wing skin was simply gone, after one of the last flights. I assume, the retaining spring's tension was too weak - or my aerobatics too "strong". :wink:
Here is my question: Would the tooling that you will be using for the new covers permit to produce replacement steel springs for the original covers, too? These covers are of the recessed type. I would be interested in a set of 8 such springs.

Matt
Aeronca 15AC Sedan – Restoring and flying the classic 4-seater: http://www.n1331h.com

AV8R2

Post by AV8R2 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:27

Matt,

The covers and doublers that we will be supplying are the same part/part numbers of the covers and doublers that are already used in the Sedan wing;
2-1272 Doubler and 2-1285 Plate. The plate will come with the springs already riveted on. Also, rivets will be supplied as well as a better drawing to use
for proper installation/location of the covers and doublers. The reason for using the existing cover was to keep from having to get a new or different cover approved.

In the end I suppose there will be some extra springs available but the kits will have to come first. First production right now is limited to 50 kits. (750 of each part)
If you purchase the kit I will make sure there is an extra cover for your plane.
Burl
When all else fails, go to the source. Factory Approved parts and data will get you back in the air.

Matt

Post by Matt » Wed Jul 27, 2011 15:30

Thanks Burl!

Matt
Aeronca 15AC Sedan – Restoring and flying the classic 4-seater: http://www.n1331h.com

Aryana

Post by Aryana » Mon Aug 08, 2011 18:48

Hi Burl,

How is the tooling to blank the springs coming along??

Thanks...
1955 Cessna 170B
Aeronca Sedan stand in!

AV8R2

Post by AV8R2 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 14:37

The spring blanks arrived yesterday and am in the process of forming the springs. The first kits will ship by next week. Already have orders for
several sets.

This first order is only enough for 50 planes. Lead times will not be as long but will take time. If you wish to install the kits now speak up and place and
confirm an order with a credit card number.

Burl

Aryana

Post by Aryana » Tue Aug 09, 2011 15:49

Thanks for the update Burl!
1955 Cessna 170B
Aeronca Sedan stand in!

joea
Site Admin

Post by joea » Thu Feb 09, 2012 13:42

Burl,

Spring is coming and lots of us are concerned about the possible AD.

How are stocks doing for both the wing spar cap pieces and the inspection panels if needed?

thx,

Joe A