National Aeronca Association Bulletin Board

A discussion group for all Aeronca owners and fans
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 17:19

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 15:38 

Once again, after all was said and I thought done, the FAA had me amend the service bulletin as well as the Cover/Doubler Kit Installation Instructions again.

There are some slight changes from the Amendment A that is posted but does not change the context at all. The changes are just enough to force an amendment
notation. It is now Amendment B. The installation instructions are Rev. A, the installation drawing is Rev. Original.

The cover/doubler kits are now being mailed out to those that ordered them. Most folks are buying the kits for installation later in the winter months after their flying
for the summer/fall months have passed. Some are being installed now.

Three more Sedans have been found to have spar cap corrosion and one of those has extensive spar web corrosion, both wings.

FYI, Eric Wright, the ACO Engineer that was the point man for the FAA on the coming AD Note on the Sedan no longer works for the FAA. I found out that, after I submitted the last documents for approval and was promised a quick response from Eric, he quit to go to work for Piper Aircraft. Someone else in the office had to
pick up the ball and get me final approval; hence the "Amendment B". Any AD responses or questions should probably (I'm guessing) be directed to August Asay, Manager, Aircraft Certification Office, Anchorage, Alaska; address details same as for Eric since no one else has been appointed as yet.

If you wish to order kits, caps or parts, call me @ (907)688-3715.

Burl

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 16:41 

I would say all of the Sedans have some level of corrosion, the're 60 years old. But the extent and disposition of the corrosion should be left up to the inspector and maintenance staff. Not some third party trying to save the world. Don't expect the Fed's to understand general aviation they barely have a handle on the air carriers.
Paul

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 13:28 

I just finished installing the wing inspection covers on the left wing of my sedan, took about 20 man/hours(me with some help from a buddy with the riveting) Fortunately the corrosion was minimal and not even worth a scrub with scotchbrite.
The whole process was relatively easy, cutting the holes with the fly cutter was the worst. Burl's instructions were very easy to follow. I did not have to de-rivet the skin as I had a 5" inspection cover for inspecting the bell crank. I assume the right wing will be the same and should go much faster.

Bob

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 18:28 

Just finished the right wing, total time about 13 man hours! Like the left wing, nil corrosion.
This is after at least 15 years on floats!

Muskokabob

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 04:39 

Thanks for reporting about your experience, Bob, and glad to hear that you found no corrosion!

Regards from Switzerland, Matt

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 13:06 

Well here it is 2012 and still no AD. Does anyone know the status of the AD?

Bob

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 14:21 

Bob,
It will probably fade away unless someone pushes the matter. The Service Bulletin should cover and repairs needed. You gotta remember these people are Civil Servants so the less they can do the better off everyone will be.
Paul

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:36 
Site Admin

Paul,

We can only hope but frankly I doubt that this will happen.

I have found out about only ONE other Sedan with corrosion that required opening up the wings, and this is one that had been painted at a slip-shod facility and they did not clean out the paint stripper, which from what I am told caused the corrosion.

Hardly something that could be traced to Aeronca or the aluminum. Most of the rest have commented on this forum that they installed the covers or did the inspection and found their wings to be in an "airworthy condition" and still ready to fly.

Lets see what happens but lets hope that if there was an AD that it comes out in time for owners to do the work or inspection needed in time to get their planes back up for the working season. Lets also hope and pray that it allows for an AMOC other than being forced into cutting large holes in our wings.

Burl,

Thanks for the update and support on this. Lets see what happens!

Joe A

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 13:58 

Joe,
If this thing continues into an AD the repair work will probably exceed the value of the plane. My opinion this is somebody's pipe dream. Ridiculous regulation, all in the name of "safety"?
Paul