Landing gear Bungee cords

Aeronca Sedan Airplanes
Matt

Re: Landing gear Bungee cords

Post by Matt » Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:58

By the way, Joe,

You can see in one of the linked pictures in my previous post that the plane was lifted by attaching not only to the engine hoist point, but also to where the upper engine mount tubes attach to the fuselage structure. Once the gear legs are tied together to their stops, you could actually set the plane down on the ground again for the remaining work.

Matt
Aeronca 15AC Sedan – Restoring and flying the classic 4-seater: http://www.n1331h.com

Aryana

Post by Aryana » Fri Nov 30, 2012 00:59

Amazing to know that the bungees can be replaced without removing the gear. I had absolutely no chance of slipping mine on even with the gear tucked as far in as possible. I hoisted the entire front up, removed one leg at a time, installed the new bungees, and then levered the gear out to stretch the bungees and install the bolts at the pivot point. Took a few tries to position the gear leg properly on the bump stop so that the bolt holes would line up. Was quite the job, but much easier without the wings on the fuselage.
1955 Cessna 170B
Aeronca Sedan stand in!

joea
Site Admin

Post by joea » Fri Nov 30, 2012 08:46

Aryana,

Did you do it by yourself? Was thinking of trying it by myself but not sure if it could be done.

We are still "fussing" with the "bungee tool" trying to get it to work but so far has been a handful.

As you can imagine, those puppies are very tight and the stresses are very high, so have to either get it right or do things the old fashioned way.

Thx,

Joe

Aryana

Post by Aryana » Fri Nov 30, 2012 08:56

Joe, I had a helper but could have probably done it alone. I tried a couple different bungee tools. Abandoned them when one broke from the tension. :shock:
1955 Cessna 170B
Aeronca Sedan stand in!

joea
Site Admin

Post by joea » Fri Nov 30, 2012 09:01

Same here on the tool. One has let go and was not a fun experience. Trying to re-do the tool but really about to give up and hoist the plane up...

Matt

Post by Matt » Thu Dec 13, 2012 09:08

Joe

Have you managed to replace the bungees on your Sedan?
If so, what is your experience and advice?

Matt
Aeronca 15AC Sedan – Restoring and flying the classic 4-seater: http://www.n1331h.com

joea
Site Admin

Post by joea » Thu Dec 13, 2012 09:37

Matt,

The first attempt at using the tool was not successful. First off it did not work in the confined spaces and second the bungee started slipping off of the tool.

We are making a second tool and going to try to use it, hopefully later this week.

Part of the problem is that much of the time I am alone and doing it by removing the landing gear leg you need to have two people...

Joe

Matt

Post by Matt » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:46

Joe

Did you see my picture post on the previous page? If you have the means and don't dread to lift the plane only a bit and for a short while, you should be able to do the job alone and with only some wood and span sets. Anyhow, good luck and let us know, when you are airborne, again! 8)

Matt

joea
Site Admin

Post by joea » Thu Dec 13, 2012 13:09

Yes I did see the thread. Am just not real positive about the engine hoist I am using and would rather not do it alone...

Lets see, if it takes too much longer may give it a try.

Joe

joea
Site Admin

Post by joea » Sat Jan 05, 2013 06:46

Well folks, we have major news today!

The "Sedan bungee installation tool" is a great success. Spent the last two months getting my genius engineer designing it and the last 4 days non-stop (when I could get him to the shop) building it, but after the "learning curve" of putting the first bungee cord on the airplane yesterday, it took a whopping 3 minutes to do the second one! And before you ask, the landing gear was not unbolted or moved in any way. Thats the beauty of the tool.

More later and photos too boot but just wanted to chime in that its made, works great and will be telling more about it later on this weekend. We got all the cords on the RH main gear, and am doing the LH main and hopefully the tailwheel later today.

BTW, yes the tool will be reproduced and put up for sale once we "fine tune" it a bit more.

All for now...

Joe A

Matt

Post by Matt » Sat Jan 05, 2013 07:35

That is great news indeed, Joe!

I am anxious to see what tool is good for the main AND the tail gear bungee. Congratulations on the success and glad to know that you'll get to enjoy your Sedan, soon again!

Matt

Aryana

Post by Aryana » Sat Jan 05, 2013 16:41

Can't wait to see it Joe! Nice job :D
1955 Cessna 170B
Aeronca Sedan stand in!

dikholder

Post by dikholder » Sun Jan 06, 2013 04:32

Joe:

Let me know how much the tool goes for, I will probably need one in March. Bungees are waiting, but I need to do a bunch of work first.

Dik

joea
Site Admin

Post by joea » Sun Jan 06, 2013 19:19

Well everyone,

Back from the airport and every bungee on the plane has been replaced now. From start to finish took about 12-15 minutes on each of the main gear bungees, so a massive savings of time. Course this is after you open up the panels below, get everything situated, jack the airplane up in the air to take the weight off of the landing gear legs then secure (pin) the landing gear in place so it does not move and so on...

Tail wheel bungee was done without any tool. In the end turns out that there simply is not enough working space back there to use the tool we had, so just pulled the long pivot bolt out and did it as others had mentioned in this thread. Took all of probably 15 minutes and was 10 times easier than the mains.

More as I get time and this time I took a video of us doing the main bungees. I have to fly tomorrow so have to run off but will get to it as soon as I can.

Dik, will get with you on the tool. We need to make several more as you are actually the second person in line (Brian Safran is first!) but making them now that we know they work will work easier. Its a lot of fabrication and welding but once together works like a charm.

Joe A

joea
Site Admin

Post by joea » Thu Jan 31, 2013 08:26

Sorry for the delay but been busy working/flying!

Below are two links for how the bungee tool works. Hope this sheds some light on the process.

We will be doing another set of Sedan bungees in the coming month or two and will then do a complete video of the entire process.

Joe A

This is the start of the video with our pulling the bungee down towards the attach lug
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8_BiFL9_QU

This is showing the final part of the operation where the bungee is pulled onto the attaching lug and the tool is removed
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifw9vZ_vAoU