National Aeronca Association Bulletin Board

A discussion group for all Aeronca owners and fans
It is currently Sat Apr 22, 2017 22:31

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 08:33 

Thanks, Joe,

For making and posting the videos!
Since this procedure has nothing to do with luck, anymore, I wish you fun (and not luck) with the next bungee replacements.
Looking forward to the full length videos.

Matt

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 08:49 
Site Admin

Matt,

The good news is that Gareth is moving back to Phoenix and should be here by months end.

Then we get started on getting his Sedan back in the air. Bungees, fuel tanks and overhauling the engine are top on the list then we can get him flying again. Doing the bungees on his plane will be the source for the new "bungee video" in a few months.

Stay warm over there! :)

Joe

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:36 

Joe

That is fantastic news and I am truly happy for Gareth! I was worried that he might never fly his wonderful Sedan, again.
You guys will make a great team, I am sure, and we all look forward to seeing pictures of a Sedan formation over Phoenix. :D
Say hello to Gareth for me, will you?

Matt

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:50 
Site Admin

Matt,

He has finally hit retirement age, so we have now found him a part time job over here flying King-Air's. He can fly 3-5 days a month over here and with his retirement $$ do just fine, and that gives him time to get the Sedan going again.

I have extra fuel bladders for him and we already have most of the parts for an overhaul on the engine, so not much left to get, just time and a bit of work.

We hope to have the plane back up in the air by summer... and of course will send photos!

Joe

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 14:42 

Sounds fantastic, a take-off in a new era for Gareth!

Matt

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 16:57 
Site Admin

The other good news of the day is that the Sedan is finally back on its landing gear and on the ground!

Just have about an hours worth of work do to on re-installing farings and checking bolts and so on and its ready for the wash rack then FLY!

Joe

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 17:27 

Well done, Joe

Have fun with it! 8)

Matt

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 17:32 
Site Admin

Matt,

Good news is that the Sedan took to the air today for the first time since Middletown.

Boy are the bungees stiff! The tailwheel feels like it has almost no give in it (but it does) and the mains are pretty tight as well.

Funny thing is that the airplane really sits higher now. Evidently the old bungees had "relaxed" a bit and I had never flown it with everything the way its supposed to be...

Next is that Gareth is coming over to Phoenix tomorrow to look for an apartment and will stay here at the house until next Wednesday. He is bringing all the rest of the engine parts for the Sedan so that we can get started on the engine.

Joe

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 02:32 

Joe

Can you imagine, taxiing and flying the Sedan from a rough grass field with the new bungees and the main tires inflated to about 36 PSI? That's what we did, during the first flights. I still remember my back aches. :roll: I will use the 19 PSI (mains)/50 PSI (tail) on my next flight. Thanks for the feedback!

Matt

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 07:18 
Site Admin

Matt,

From what I hear, the key on the tailwheel is to have 45 psi MINIMUM. Anything less than that and the tire can roll off of the rim, so I put a bit more pressure in the tire.

Yes its more difficult to roll the plane with 19 psi in the mains but landing sure feels better on my end. Hope you like it better!

Joe

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 01:24 

I tried to do mine tonight but chickened out. I had the plane jacked up using a pair of wing jacks positioned at the front corner of the frame just behind the firewall(with the belly pans removed) It just looked to precarious for a solo so I put it back togeather. If I had borrowed one of those stretcher tools for the new ones, I might have kept going, but just using a pry bar sort of reminded me of a large rat trap with the bungees as bait.

Dik N1441H
Queen of the Berry Patch

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 02:32 

thanks for all the good tips here. Mine are now new on the Queen of the Berry Patch. A few scarry moments with the jacks, but my wings were off and with two helpers, it wasnt that hard to do.

Dik

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 03:30 
Site Admin

What did you do, remove the gear and swing it around?

I just sent my new bungee tool to Mike Hoag and he is in the process of doing bungees on a Sedan right now.

Joe

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 18:10 

[url][/url]Yes, thats about it in a nutshell. Taking the gear off one at a time while jacking it from the other side allowed me to strip, convert the metal, prime and recover the gear legs. Then with 3 of us involved it wasnt too hard to jack it a little higher from the front center spider of the frame and then reinsert the gear and twist it to lower the gear leg on one side and we were able to put the new bungees on without too much effort, then put the keepers and safety cables back on, turn it straight and lower it on the jack to align the pivot bolts. The process was spread over evenings on two consecutive weeks.

Dik

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 22:05 
Site Admin

Next time use one of our bungee tools and you will have it done on the same night in about 3 hours (or less) without taking the landing gear legs off...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next