Landing gear Bungee cords

Aeronca Sedan Airplanes
dikholder

Re: Landing gear Bungee cords

Post by dikholder » Thu Aug 01, 2013 20:18

That must be a handy tool when switching from wheels to floats. I cut the old bungees off as suggested on one of these threads, but I dont want to do that to good bungees when switching to and from floats. The Queen wont be ready for floats till at least next spring. Did you make your tool or is it commercially available?

Dik

joea
Site Admin

Post by joea » Thu Aug 01, 2013 20:25

Friend of mine is an engineer and between the two of us we came up with it.

Have never seen a commercially available tool that would work, its just too narrow in there.

Took several tries and finally came up with one that worked fine and we could do each side in 30-45 minutes if not less. It gets a lot easier with practice.

planebuilder

Post by planebuilder » Thu Nov 21, 2013 19:18

Joe, your bungee tool looks great. Are you any closer to producing them for sale? If not, are any drawings available to DIY.
It looks like it could be used to remove bungees also, have you ever tried that?

joea
Site Admin

Post by joea » Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:01

planebuilder wrote:Joe, your bungee tool looks great. Are you any closer to producing them for sale? If not, are any drawings available to DIY.
It looks like it could be used to remove bungees also, have you ever tried that?
We are not far from making a batch of the bungee removal tools, really was just waiting on some more people who wanted them.

Let me talk with my partner and see how his schedule is looking.

Truthfully regarding removal, we have always just cut the old ones off as every plane that we have worked with they were far out of date. The more we are hearing its recommended to replace them every 4-5 years. Mine were about 12 years old before they let go, so it was far past time.

Thx,

Joe

planebuilder

Post by planebuilder » Sat Nov 23, 2013 20:58

Joe, I agree with the five year life on the bungees, they are much weaker as they age, as you find out when new ones are installed. The issue some of us have is that if we want floats in the summer and skis in the winter, It would be nice to not buy new bungees each year, that's why I was interested in a way to remove them with out damage.

joea
Site Admin

Post by joea » Sat Nov 23, 2013 22:12

It might work for removal, just that we have not tried that...

Have heard from my partner (the one who actually builds the tools) and looks like we might be getting together after Thanksgiving to build some more!

What kind of time frame works for you?

Thx,

Joe

Matt

Post by Matt » Sat Nov 23, 2013 22:47

Joe

Can I sign up for one, too, please? My bungees are now just about right, after three years and 230 landings. And from what I have heard, it takes just a year or so longer, until they are getting too soft and need to be replaced. :roll:

Matt
Aeronca 15AC Sedan – Restoring and flying the classic 4-seater: http://www.n1331h.com

joea
Site Admin

Post by joea » Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:14

Matt,

What I am thinking is getting the production going shortly and having at least one ready for our meeting in Orlando so that you could take it with you on the airline and not have to worry about shipping.

Would that work for you or are you full already?

Thx,

Joe

planebuilder

Post by planebuilder » Sun Nov 24, 2013 13:35

Joe:
I just brought the Sedan home yesterday, landed on the grass 20 minutes before the snow squalls started. So it sits until I can install the bungees, but my schedule is full of other stuff so I'm probably not in a rush.
Maybe I missed it but have you decided on a price for the tool?
Morgan

vintagepilot

Post by vintagepilot » Sun May 11, 2014 20:08

Hi guys,

Too long a time since I've posted here. Its annual time for the Sedan (yeah, I know it's late, but it was really cold up here!) and a check of the tailwheel bungee cord this year showed some significant wear, so I'll be changing it this spring/summer. This cord is only 8 years old, unlike its predecessor, which lasted 14 years. I'll be ordering it from SBC. This isn't my favorite job...
Also, VAA did an update to their website, so the article I wrote a few years ago on this subject is now here:

http://eaavintage.org/wp-content/upload ... -Cords.pdf

See ya around the pattern!

H.G.
H.G. Frautschy
Caretaker and pilot, NC1048H

joea
Site Admin

Post by joea » Sun May 11, 2014 23:34

planebuilder wrote:Joe:
I just brought the Sedan home yesterday, landed on the grass 20 minutes before the snow squalls started. So it sits until I can install the bungees, but my schedule is full of other stuff so I'm probably not in a rush.
Maybe I missed it but have you decided on a price for the tool?
Morgan
Morgan,

Truthfully we have been busy with other things so sorry for not replying sooner.

It would take about $250 for us to break even on making these tools. Have mentioned this price to several people and everyone of them said that this is fair. We just let a friend of ours use the tool on their Sedan and it really made things easier with the install.

H.G.,

Excellent article and I found the same when changing the bungees on our Sedan. In fact one side of the cords had been on the airplane almost 20 years, so lasted far longer than normal.

Hope to see both of you in Middletown in 5 weeks!

Joe A