Sedan Wing Inspection Cover Installation

Aeronca Sedan Airplanes
bsafran

Re: Sedan Wing Inspection Cover Installation

Post by bsafran » Tue Jul 03, 2012 08:06

These pictures show the two areas on the right wing where I encountered a stiffener where the inspection hole is supposed to go. You can see where I had to adjust the placement to install the doubler without touching the existing wing parts.
Attachments
Stiffener where hole is supposed to be..jpg
Stiffener where hole is supposed to be..jpg (80.68 KiB) Viewed 1634 times
Wing Skin Stiffeners Are in the Way.jpg
Wing Skin Stiffeners Are in the Way.jpg (134.68 KiB) Viewed 1634 times
Move the Inspection Plate From AD Described Position.jpg
Move the Inspection Plate From AD Described Position.jpg (128.45 KiB) Viewed 1634 times

bsafran

Post by bsafran » Tue Jul 03, 2012 08:11

Here are pictures of the right wing with all the required inspection holes cut in. You can see where one is slightly out of line with the others due to the fact a stiffener was right where the hole was supposed to go.
Attachments
Right Wing Inspection Holes View 2.jpg
Right Wing Inspection Holes View 2.jpg (168.75 KiB) Viewed 1634 times
Right Wing Inspection Holes View 1.jpg
Right Wing Inspection Holes View 1.jpg (161.8 KiB) Viewed 1634 times

Paul Agaliotis

Post by Paul Agaliotis » Tue Jul 03, 2012 13:29

That surface corrosion is pretty standard for a 60 year old wing. Most of the Cessnas out West have similar interiors of the wings. They seem to sweat inside and get a uniform surface coating.
Paul
Mailing Adress : Paul Agaliotis 2060 E. San Martin, San Martin,Calif. 95046

joea
Site Admin

Post by joea » Mon Jul 09, 2012 08:29

Good stuff Brian!

Hey, I need to return your call someday. Been busy as a one armed paper hangar and just took delivery of the new jet last week. Another 10 days of flying then things slow down for real, but will try to get to you today or later this week.

Thx,

Joe A

Ps Please give your wife a hug for the Twiglets! Sure she does not have any single sisters?

bsafran

Post by bsafran » Tue Jul 10, 2012 05:59

Here is another good reason for installing the inspection covers. I had some unusual damage to the left wing that I was wanting to investigate. Several rivet heads had popped off in the same area underneath the main spar. There are usually only two inspection plates on the wing which doesn't give you a good look inside the whole interior. This AD made me cut in some holes right where I wanted to look. A mouse had built a huge nest that filled the entire bay forward of the spar. All of the mouse "junk" had been rotting away for who knows how long and I believe weakened those rivets whose heads popped.
Attachments
Nest Caused Corrosion.jpg
Nest Caused Corrosion.jpg (219.52 KiB) Viewed 1585 times
Nest 1.jpg
Nest 1.jpg (149.36 KiB) Viewed 1585 times
Nest 2.jpg
Nest 2.jpg (144.27 KiB) Viewed 1585 times

joea
Site Admin

Post by joea » Tue Jul 10, 2012 06:16

Brian,

Good shots. How did the mouse get into the wing? Was it down on the ground or was it on an airplane?

Joe A

bsafran

Post by bsafran » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:30

The mouse found its way inside the wing while it was still on the plane. When the service bulletin first came out, I removed the stall sensor from the leading edge so I could look inside the wing at the front face of the main spar. That's when I first saw evidence of a nest in an adjoining bay, but I never guessed that it would be the size it was. I wish Burl had made the inspection holes a little bigger than he did. It's difficult to do anything other than just inspect with these size holes. Perhaps someone with smaller hands than mine would have an easier time.

joea
Site Admin

Post by joea » Sat Jul 14, 2012 06:31

"Smaller hands?"

You are married, put her to work! :)

sedanpilot

Post by sedanpilot » Sat Jul 14, 2012 23:09

I have also been cutting holes, and found some mouse related evidence. Nothing quite as spectacular, but semi chewed petrified shocks of wheat had been stored in the leading edge. I suspect that the mouse may have been from Wichita State.......

Not much wheat in Alaska, so it has either been there a long time, or we had a well traveled mouse.

So far, the spar looks good, but I did have a bit of a scare. I had those little false ribs in one bay in the leading edge that Aeronca put in her and decided that I would try the borescope option in one bay. What I saw made my heart sink, it looked like I had a corrosion bubble coming out on the lower cap, but I couldn't be sure. I cut the access hole and found out it was just dirt I was looking at in the borescope.

joea
Site Admin

Post by joea » Sun Jul 15, 2012 07:08

Sedanpilot,

Thats what most of us are finding, lots of misc stuff that should not be there like you did, and absolutely NO problems with the spars.

Thanks for your report.

Joe A

Louis

Post by Louis » Sun Jul 15, 2012 14:13

It sounds like I'll be utilizing my wife's small hands also. Actually she's been very helpful already this year. She knew I hadn't been working on my Sedan for quite a while, since we moved out of our house with the nice garage, and was in a bit of a funk over it. She went to work this summer clearing out the cabin our property so the airplane, or at least the wings can be moved in and worked on over the winter. I'm wondering what I'll find, hopefully not much corrosion. I'm cautiously optimistic, since the plane spent most of its life in Fairbanks and Arizona. The new inspection holes should at least make it easier to change the control cables and wiring.

Sedanpilot: Was your plane parked in Fairbanks earlier this summer?....Louis

sedanpilot

Post by sedanpilot » Sun Jul 15, 2012 14:45

Hi Louis it was, I flew up there for my niece's graduation and then got trapped by weather in Windy Pass and had to fly home commercial. Took me a bit to get back to to get her. Even the GVEA helicopter had to put down a Rose's in Healy for lunch due to weather.

bsafran

Post by bsafran » Sun Aug 19, 2012 18:49

Mike Hoag asked to use J.C.'s kit to cut the inspection holes in the wings of two different Sedans. He thought it was easy to use and made the job kind of foolproof as long as you measured correctly for the proper spot to place the holes. J.C.'s kit has a jig plate made of aluminum which we all worried might get wallowed out if a lot of people used it. Mike decided to fix that problem for everyone by making a duplicate jig plate made of steel. The only difference is that he holds his jig plate in place with a cleco instead of a small bolt. The upgraded inspection hole installation kit is free of charge to anyone who might need it to comply with the A.D. All you have to do is pay the shipping cost to get it to your shop and then back to ours. Thanks J.C. and Mike for making this unpleasant task pretty easy!
Attachments
Upgraded Jig Plate.jpg
Upgraded Jig Plate.jpg (224.64 KiB) Viewed 1428 times

joea
Site Admin

Post by joea » Sun Aug 19, 2012 22:09

Brian,

Good to see that issue taken care of.

Hows your wings going?

I need to get ahold of Mike anyways as its finally starting to get a bit cooler (read under 100 from time to time) here in "the oven" and starting to think about doing my bungees! Believe he has a tool that might help!

Thx,

Joe A

slauff

Post by slauff » Mon Aug 20, 2012 04:33

where do you get measurements for location of inspection holes i cant read them on ad or service bulletin are measurements in previous post correct one from spar i understand but is side measurement same on all holes and where is it measured from also do you have to buy rings and plates from burl or can you make your own what is diameter of hole and has anyone used round hole saw thanks new sedan owner