Sedan Wing Inspection Cover Installation

Aeronca Sedan Airplanes
joea
Site Admin

Re: Sedan Wing Inspection Cover Installation

Post by joea » Thu Aug 23, 2012 16:07

slauff wrote:where do you get measurements for location of inspection holes i cant read them on ad or service bulletin are measurements in previous post correct one from spar i understand but is side measurement same on all holes and where is it measured from also do you have to buy rings and plates from burl or can you make your own what is diameter of hole and has anyone used round hole saw thanks new sedan owner
With the drilling jigs that are in the photos that Brian posted, you can locate where to drill the holes very easily.

Will let him chime in and describe the operation, but you can borrow the above jigs, drill your holes then return them to him or the next person in line.

Also with the new "AMOC" you do not have to drill all the holes shown in the AD, but as many as you feel are needed then use a borescope for the rest.

Joe A

bsafran

Post by bsafran » Sun Sep 02, 2012 06:23

Here is another example of the benefits of the wing inspection holes. Besides getting to all the dauber nests and other debris inside the wings, the last set of holes I cut showed something new. The tie down ring is welded to a fitting which is then rivited to the main spar and an adjoining rib. Like everything else inside an Aeronca wing, nothing ever got primed or painted very well. This tie down ring has been rusting for a while. The shape of the rust residue pattern makes me think that this wing has been lying upside down during storage (I got these wings with a project). Similar rust in a wing mounted on the plane might show itself by the tie down ring itself being discolored. Either way, you have to get inside the wing to clean it up and protect it with paint.
Attachments
Tie Down Corrosion.jpg
Tie Down Corrosion.jpg (58.23 KiB) Viewed 1745 times

bsafran

Post by bsafran » Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:29

The service bulletin and A.D. point out where to install the required inspection holes. They do allow one less inspection hole in the left wing, the one that has the landing and taxi lights. The thinking is that you can just remove the landing light lens and inspect that part of the spar from there. Anyone who has removed and replaced the lens knows what a hassle that can be. Also, once the lens is removed, there is no easy way to see behind the light assembly to accomplish the inspection at each annual. My suggestion is that Burl throw in another ring set to his kit and that it be installed on the left wing. The picture shows the area of the landing light installation with the inspection hole cut in place. It sure makes looking into that part of the wing easier than the alternative. You can see an additional inspection plate installed behind the rear of the spar. That was installed by a previous owner for unknown reasons.
Attachments
A.D. Wing Drawing.JPG
A.D. Wing Drawing.JPG (89.8 KiB) Viewed 1739 times
Landing Light Area With Inspection Hole.jpg
Landing Light Area With Inspection Hole.jpg (123.74 KiB) Viewed 1739 times

bsafran

Post by bsafran » Sun Sep 02, 2012 17:05

Mike Hoag has made a more sturdy jig plate that can be used to cut the required inspection holes and drill the necessary rivit holes for the reinforcement ring installation. He originally provided a cleco to hold the plate in place for drilling the rivit holes, but it was found that using a small aligning bolt was more accurate. Here are a few pictures showing how I used his jig plate for cutting the holes for both the inspection hole and the rivits needed to attach the reinforcement ring.
Attachments
DSCN0538.jpg
DSCN0538.jpg (122.94 KiB) Viewed 1731 times
DSCN0539.jpg
DSCN0539.jpg (122.23 KiB) Viewed 1731 times

slauff

Post by slauff » Sun Sep 02, 2012 17:51

how do we get a official copy of the amoc thanks sam lauff

bsafran

Post by bsafran » Tue Oct 09, 2012 13:38

The inspection hole installation kit made up by J.C. has racked up some travel miles. It has been to Idaho, Alaska, Michigan, Ohio and now Switzerland! Matt has just finished up using the kit on his Sedan wings and shipped it back to the United States. The box arrived at my house today. Matt said they had no problems at all cutting in the holes with the wings in place. If any 15AC owner still needs to install the required rings, J.C.'s kit is ready for shipping.

Matt

Post by Matt » Sun Jan 20, 2013 06:24

To prove that it really was in Switzerland, I finally made a little video of J.C.'s tool kit in action on N1331H.
It might also clarify some of the work steps for Sedan owners who have not complied with the AD, yet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxsRXvxTzpc

Many thanks to J.C., Brian and the NAA for their fantastic support!

Matt
Aeronca 15AC Sedan – Restoring and flying the classic 4-seater: http://www.n1331h.com

joea
Site Admin

Post by joea » Sun Jan 20, 2013 07:29

Very nice video Matt.

A question... what is everyone using for a chemical spray to use inside the wing to inhibit corrosion? Where are you getting it?

Thx,

Joe

Matt

Post by Matt » Sun Jan 20, 2013 08:58

Joe

The mechanics I know, use ACF-50. In the US available from Aircraft Spruce for example.

The original treatment from two and a half years and 120 flight hours ago, still leaves fresh streaks on the wing surfaces after each flight. Not too pretty and it keeps me busy cleaning, but as long as it reappears, at least I know that there is still enough inside the wings. :D

Matt
Aeronca 15AC Sedan – Restoring and flying the classic 4-seater: http://www.n1331h.com

joea
Site Admin

Post by joea » Sat Jan 26, 2013 09:02

Next question...

For those of us who are using the AMOC to inspect the spars and interior of the wing area. What type of borescope or camera are you using for this? Have found several that are reasonably priced at Home Depot, Amazon or even Harbor Freight but could use some suggestions.

Really would like to have one that records the video on a memory card so that should there ever be any question of the inspection or condition of the wing, that you could refer back to the video and confirm things.

Also where are you getting the plugs to close up the inspection holes? I am putting 3-4 normal sized inspection covers in each wing and using the smaller holes in the other wing bays to get the inspection probe inside.

Thx,

Joe A

dikholder

Post by dikholder » Sun Jan 27, 2013 00:58

Joe:

Harbor Frt has two scopes, one for less than a Hundred and one for about 180. I have the more expensive one and it takes an SDC card which doesn t come with the scope, but is available anywhere that sells cameras for about 20. You can hook it up directly to a computer via a USB port. I think the other one will do that as well. The expensive one has a 36inch probe, not sure about the other. The AMOC says any with a 34 inch or longer will work. These scopes can also be used to examine inside the clyinders of engines and several other enclosed spaces too. I got my plugs online from a source on Ebay. They are 3/4 inch pop in plastic. Paid about $10 plus shipping.

Dik

joea
Site Admin

Post by joea » Thu Feb 07, 2013 17:34

Dik,

Thanks and I bought one of the Harbor freight scopes (the cheap one) then my hangar neighbor told me he has one of the expensive SnapOn scopes, so going to try to take the HF one back!

Thx,

Joe

Matt

Post by Matt » Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:23

Joe

You had asked where to get plugs to close the borescope holes. I just saw these: http://store.wagaero.com/wagflyer1-11.pdf
Page 19, bottom right, item number M-198-100 for $1.35 each. They are probably bright yellow! :wink:

Matt

joea
Site Admin

Post by joea » Sat Mar 02, 2013 18:29

Good find! Thanks!

Just flew the Sedan to Casa Grande for the fly-in today...

Excellent fly-in and we even had the B-29 Fifi and B-17 Sentimental Journey both do multiple fly-overs!

Joe A

Nathan K. Hammond

Post by Nathan K. Hammond » Sat Mar 02, 2013 21:45

Catching up on the AAA-APM website, I came across this little jem and thought of you Sedan guys.

"Cutting Large Holes in Aluminum"
http://www.antiqueairfield.com/articles ... n-aluminum

nkh
7AC-5691
Super 85-12F @ DVK