National Aeronca Association Bulletin Board

A discussion group for all Aeronca owners and fans
It is currently Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:13

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 14:00 

Does anyone know how to disassemble the stock seaplane door? I suspect the handle eustacean covers a clip like used on car doors, but would hate to tear up the eustacean plate trying to take out a nonexistent clip. My door has a corrosion issue and I need access to the interior mechanism for replacement or repair of the latching mechanism.

Dik
N1441H

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 14:28 

Dick, what model plane is this and which Seaplane Door? I did not even know there was a "Stock Seaplane Door", though I think that later Citabria's and the current Champs have them as an option. The seaplane door on my Champ is a modified regular door. A Chief that I am buying has split plexiglass seaplane doors, but those too I believe were done via a 337 and field approval like the one on my Champ - Bob

rkittine@aol.com

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 20:57 

You may have to call Rodger Burl down in Chugiak, he has the TC, makes a fair amount of sedan parts, and should have the knowledge.

http://www.burlac.com/Contact.html

nkh

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:57 
Site Admin

Am guessing that its a Sedan.

There are two style doors on the Sedan, then for the left hand "sea plane" door there are at least two style of doors and possibly more.

Burl might be of some assistance and if not get back to us and I might know of someone who could help!

Joe A

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 20:32 

yes, this is a Sedan. the door handle on this one is forward located, about 4 inches back from the leading edge of the door. Some have a handle located near the center of the door.

Dik

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 02:58 

Well, I finally got the door off and apart. I had to use a dremel tool to cut the screw heads off on the piano hinge at the top of the door. I had managed to get one of the three latch pins free on the leading edge latch. That allowed me to pull out, up, and forward on the door till it rotated out of the fuselage. After taking the door apart I found that the builder had used copper to bush the pins. The copper bushing and steel pin at the bottom of the door had corroded locking the door permanently. I am now refabricting a new bushing from garden variety copper tube. I would suggest dismantling your sea plane doors and greasing the bushings at least every couple of years.

Dik

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 08:23 
Site Admin

Good tip and glad you got the door open!

Especially in planes that are "out in the bush" or around salt-water this should be added to the inspection checklist.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 19:47 

Well, now I have the new bushing fabricated from a 1.5 inch piece of plain copper tubing, the door is reassembled and seems to be working fine, and I have recovered the sliding windows with sticky-back felt and they work now. Now I will get to play with those new metal tanks,.

Dik

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 06:38 
Site Admin

Good winter projects!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 13:56 

Joe:

You should be receiving a box in the mail with my old bladders soon. I mailed them about a week ago.

Dik

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 08:35 
Site Admin

dikholder wrote:
Joe:

You should be receiving a box in the mail with my old bladders soon. I mailed them about a week ago.

Dik

Great, thanks much! Have not seen anything yet but its only the 19th...

BTW very important and possibly dangerous situation just popping up with the metal fuel tanks in the Sedan. I just started a new thread here: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6146

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 15:46 

I just read that. Since I just finished installing them, it is a bit disconcerting, but the tanks I put in looked very good. He does have them made by someone else and then puts the kits together.

Dik

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 16:10 
Site Admin

Dik,

Knowing what I know now, anytime that I had the wings off and tanks off would be putting some fuel in them and very slight pressure and checking them visually before putting them back in the wings.

Hopefully this is an isolated case but what worries everyone so far is the lack of communication after the problem occured.

Thx,

Joe