Queen of the Berry Patch

Aeronca Sedan Airplanes
dikholder

Re: Queen of the Berry Patch

Post by dikholder » Fri Dec 26, 2014 14:55

Merry Christmas Matt:

No, its been one little delay after another. The plane has been in an A&Ps hangar for almost 3 months. Last delay was to get the carb rebuilt. I am waiting for it to come back from Anchorage now. Once its in, should just be a test run followed by the long awaited first flight. the mechanic is shutting down for the month of Jan and going somewhere warmer, so it has to be out of his hangar by then. It snowed last night and I dont have skis, if the snow on the strip gets too deep, it may have to sit there till breakup in April.

Holding my breath.

Dik

Matt

Post by Matt » Sat Dec 27, 2014 00:24

I keep my fingers crossed that your carburetor arrives in time. :!:

Matt
Aeronca 15AC Sedan – Restoring and flying the classic 4-seater: http://www.n1331h.com

dikholder

Post by dikholder » Sat Dec 27, 2014 02:37

Matt: The carb arrived today, and I will put it in tomorrow. It snowed about 4 inches last night and is snowing again, so I will have to look real carefully at the strip. It its not packed down I will be stuck till March or April when it melts.

Dik

Matt

Post by Matt » Sat Dec 27, 2014 05:02

Yes, rather a maiden flight on a sunny Spring day than a bent plane, now. Or maybe you could borrow a set of skis from someone?
Aeronca 15AC Sedan – Restoring and flying the classic 4-seater: http://www.n1331h.com

Louis

Post by Louis » Sat Dec 27, 2014 17:06

Dik, looks really nice. It's good to see SOMEBODY getting their Sedan back together. Actually, I am making some progress again. Hope to have the wings done by this coming spring, then start assembling things. The red on the blue airplane is a good idea, although it was pointed out to me (my plane is blue also) that the blue 55 gallon drums scattered around the country stand out quite well.

I have a pair of Atlee Dodge 2500 skis rigged for a Sedan lying around here that you're welcome to borrow if needed.....Louis

dikholder

Post by dikholder » Sun Dec 28, 2014 03:43

Thanks Louis. I was wondering how yours was coming along. Let you know in the next couple of days if i Need to take you up on that. I have not gone out to look at the strip yet. Should have her back together tomorrow. If strip is OK, will be out of there on Monday. If not, will give you a holler.

Thanks agin.

Dik

dikholder

Post by dikholder » Tue Mar 03, 2015 00:15

Just an update. I did not make it out at New Years. The A&P was closing shop for the month of January so he suggested that I send the mags to Fishcreek Airmotive in Palmer AK. Just to be sure they were in good shape. John at Fishcreek has a reputation for mag repairs replacing only the things that need replacing. When he got my mags he called me and said they were only good for cores. He suggested that I buy a kit from AERO for $1900 which included two new mags and new harnesses. So that is where I am at now. The mags are back and I am negotiating on a pair of used skis.

hangerash

Post by hangerash » Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:33

Good news indeed! Was wondering last month if you had made it out or not. Things happen for a reason and those mags might have well given up when you really needed them.
Richard

hangerash

Post by hangerash » Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:33

You will be flying again in no time.
Richard

Louis

Post by Louis » Tue Mar 10, 2015 19:46

Dik: I think I have an extra set of rigging for Atlee Dodgeskis. Let me know if you want to look at it. If it's still usable (and I do a better job of digging that out than the skis) you're welcome to it...Louis

dikholder

Post by dikholder » Sun Mar 15, 2015 14:51

thanks for the pat on the back Hangerash! Makes me feel better about forking up another $2000.

Thanks Louis. I will let you know. I have been looking for a good deal on skis. Found some airglass 2000 that I could have got for $500 plus $90 for freight from Haines, but after checking with Burl, they were too small for a Sedan. In six weeks breakup will be here and I can get out on wheels, if I dont get lucky and find the skis which belong to the plane. I think if I do locate them they will be burried in snow and muck like yours were.

How are you doing on yours. Gonna have her flying by spring?

Dik N1441H, Queen of the Berry Patch

dikholder

Post by dikholder » Tue Jun 09, 2015 23:33

Well, it finally happened. I took the Queen up for a test flight today. It was short but sweet. Taxiied up and down the strip twice with increasing speed on each pass to make sure my instruments were all working before leaving terra firma. Once satisfied that they worked and handling was as predicted I lined up and took off. Climbed to 3500AGL over North Pole AK and then did turns and stalls before bringing her back in for a full stop. Not enough guts for a wheel landing yet, but the three point worked just fine. We found a number of leaks from the push rod tubes, so she will go back into the shop for new seals before getting signed off. But at least I dont have to worry about how she flies. She is smooth and predictable throughout the envelope. Now I need to paint my floats and get them ready to mount. I sent a few photos to Mat, hope he can add them for me.

Dik Holder, N1441H Queen of the Berry Patch

Matt

Post by Matt » Wed Jun 10, 2015 04:28

Et voilà, here's the photo that I received from Dik….

And from my side a respectful "Congratulations, Dik!" on the completion of this major restoration project and a successful first flight!
Wishing you always safe and fun flights in the proud Queen that has risen from the Berry Patch!

Matt

joea
Site Admin

Post by joea » Wed Jun 10, 2015 07:53

Glad to see and Dik please do not worry about wheel landings. I trim the nose for a bit of "nose down" trim in the pattern then when the mains touch down I simply relax the pressure on the control wheel and the airplane stays stuck to the runway! Works easy!

hangerash

Post by hangerash » Wed Jun 10, 2015 18:21

Congratulations Dik she looks great! Countless hours of pleasure await you in the queen, please continue your updates.
Richard