Keyed Ign Switch Tumbler

Aeronca Sedan Airplanes
joea
Site Admin

Re: Keyed Ign Switch Tumbler

Post by joea » Thu Oct 16, 2014 16:31

Dennis,

I have to say that the problem started with the old Perry Mason TV shows... and I am one of the worst as I loved it along with millions of other Americans.

Now our once great country is covered in lawyers. Most of them are fine upstanding folks but there is probably 40% of them who will sue a penny that is stuck to the sidewalk... or the others who go into politics and make more new laws so that their friends the other lawyers and judges make money.

I have lived in many (11 at last count) other countries and America is the only place on earth that has this issue. Other countries contain the simply "out of sight" lawsuits like the person who spilled hot coffee in her lap then sued (and won millions) from McDonnalds. Or the pilot who ran the airplane out of fuel, crashed and the lawyers sue everyone in sight. Things like this caused Cessna to stop making training airplanes for almost 25 years...

Sorry for the rant but should something happen and a lawyer find out that some lock shop has "Deep pockets" (read good insurance) they will include them in on any lawsuit and the insurance company usually pays off as its cheaper in the end.

This has forever changed our country and its society... and IMHO not for the good...

Joe A

dikholder

Post by dikholder » Thu Oct 16, 2014 23:46

its the running scared I am sure.

Dik

Red(neck) Barron

Post by Red(neck) Barron » Fri Oct 17, 2014 08:40

I've always maintained that the cost of health care was more the fault of the legal profession than that of the medical one. Put a choke hold on the courts and maybe the insurance costs would drop and with that would go the rest. Probably would take a pretty strong arm from some real leadership though and no one has courage to do that. So we place the blame elsewhere and put a Band-Aid on it; a very high priced Band-Aid.

But, back to airplanes and since keys were involved with this original discussion I have a question. When I bought my '73 Citabria the previous owner didn't have any keys to fit the door lock. I've got the code for the key and have checked with ACA but they weren't able to get this particular key from their vendor. Taking the lock out of the door is a bit of a project that I would rather not go through. I was wondering if anyone has any advice regarding where I might be able to get a copy of the key from. I think that there were certain series of keys made and many planes have the same one but I'm not certain on that. Can a local locksmith make one without removing the door lock? Removing the door would be easy.
Larry H
Sigourney, IA
Formally N84619, N84149 & N84069 - all1946 7AC's
Currently N57430 7ECA (Still a Champ, just grown up some)

joea
Site Admin

Post by joea » Fri Oct 17, 2014 09:37

Larry,

What you might do is post the code of the lock here. There are in reality only about 6-8 lock-sets in use in this era's airplanes.

Am guessing that someone else on the board has a lock of the same number and once you find each other, pay them to get a copy of their key and sent it do you!

Joe A

Red(neck) Barron

Post by Red(neck) Barron » Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:12

Thanks Joe, I'll try that, I'll post on a new thread.
Larry H
Sigourney, IA

dikholder

Post by dikholder » Sat Oct 18, 2014 04:23

Larry:

I was in the same boat. My plane had no keys either. I took the door off and took in to the local locksmiths and they built me new door keys in just a few minutes. Strangly enough, when I went back to get the ign lock keyed is when I suddenly had problems with them. Short answer is yes they can. Question is will they.

Dik

joea
Site Admin

Post by joea » Sat Oct 18, 2014 17:54

Dik,

Like Larry, just tell them its for a tractor... never have had any issues after that.

Joe A

Red(neck) Barron

Post by Red(neck) Barron » Tue Oct 21, 2014 13:26

You were right on Dik. I took the door into a locksmith this morning and an hour and a half later had a set of keys. Now why didn't I think of that??? :roll:
Larry H
Sigourney, IA

joea
Site Admin

Post by joea » Wed Oct 22, 2014 08:35

Red(neck) Barron wrote:You were right on Dik. I took the door into a locksmith this morning and an hour and a half later had a set of keys. Now why didn't I think of that??? :roll:
Now lets hope that the same thing works with Dik and his magneto switch!

Great to hear it worked out!

Joe A

dikholder

Post by dikholder » Sun Oct 26, 2014 00:42

yes Joe, I now have a fully funtional mag switch for my welder.

Dik :P

joea
Site Admin

Post by joea » Sun Oct 26, 2014 07:15

dikholder wrote:yes Joe, I now have a fully funtional mag switch for my welder.

Dik :P
Welder??? A new twist!

Great news!

Joe A