National Aeronca Association Bulletin Board

A discussion group for all Aeronca owners and fans
It is currently Tue Apr 25, 2017 05:21

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 08:48 

Hello friends

I am trying to help Mike Monreal solve a riddle with his Sedan oil cooler. Here is his question:
"Matt, I need help trying to figure out where the lines from the oil cooler go on the C-145 engine on my Sedan (http://n1331h.com/sedan_gallery/15ac-194_n1183h). I have just overhauled the engine and need to reinstall the cooler that I took off, four years ago. There are 3 lines and the one we are having problems with is the one that feeds the engine in the case that the cooler plugs up. Do you have any pictures of it on the engine? Thanks, Mike"

Unfortunately, my own Sedan project never had an oil cooler installed, since I purchased and restored it. So, if any one of you could email helpful pictures to Mike, that would be fantastic. Quick help is much appreciated, since Mike also writes: "I have this week off and temps are in the mid 90s, so my plane is down until I get this cooler on. Called Burl in AK and his drawings aren't good enough to figure it out. Thanks."
Mike's email: ifly4ual (AT) aol.com

And I promise to try and motivate him to join this group.... :wink:

Thanks everybody
Matt

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 06:44 

Not sure if I will be of any help but my Cessna 172 has an O-300 (similar to the 145) and it has an oil cooler, I can take a few pictures of its installation the next time I get to town.
Not sure how many different types of coolers there are for the Continental engines but have had several people ask about mine since they must be hard to find. My 172 was set up as a banner tow plane at one time, not sure if it was ever used as such. This plane was based along the Gulf Coast of Florida and may have needed a cooler.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 14:06 

Keith

In the meantime, Mike has already received email replies that helped solve the problem. So, no need to take pictures, anymore. But thanks for your offer anyway; very kind of you!

Yes, the original oil coolers seem to be very hard to find intact. The Sedan is special, in that the aerodynamic engine cooling is so efficient that it does not even need an oil cooler, depending on the region where the plane is operated. Many owners either don't have an oil cooler at all, have a broken one that cannot be repaired or remove the one that was installed, in order to achieve a higher oil temperature. In Switzerland's moderate climate, my Sedan's oil temperature has not risen above 191 °F, even on a hot day – and that is without an oil cooler. 225 °F is max. according to Continental. TC holder Burl Rogers offers an STC to legally fly the Sedan without an oil cooler.

Sedan expert Mike Hoag just emailed me the following, which explains why so few original oil coolers survive and why it may well be safer to remove it completely: "In the cold air up here most Sedan owners take the cooler off. The cooler is in the lowest point of the system and the condensate water forms there to freeze and brake the cooler . Then you start up and the oil bypass lets the oil warm up for takeoff without leaking. Then, after a climb-out, the ice melts and the oil is out all over the belly."

Matt

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 08:16 
Site Admin

Matt,

I have a upgraded oil cooler on the Sedan and have to block it off otherwise my oil temps never get where they should be.

This cooler appears to be a Harrison cooler off of something like a C-150 or so, but also plumbed with a AirWolf spin on oil filter. Very professional installation and I love the spin on oil filter.

Joe A

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:55 

Thanks Joe

From what I understood, Mike has the original (manufacturer?) oil cooler on his Sedan. With the help from other Sedan owners he has now been able to figure out how to connect it again, after it had been removed years ago, together with the engine to be overhauled. :D

Matt

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 14:56 
Site Admin

Matt,

If I do not have them here at home, I could go to Gareth's hangar and take photos of his oil cooler. Its completely stock and not changed from how it was mounted or hooked up new from the Aeronca factory.

Joe

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 09:14 

That is very kind of you, Joe,

But not necessary, anymore. Mike has already received pictures and info to solve the problem, two weeks ago.
I am sure, he has hooked his cooler up, in the meantime. :D

Thanks anyway!

Matt