oil temp on your 180 hp sedan

Aeronca Sedan Airplanes
davidfair

oil temp on your 180 hp sedan

Post by davidfair » Wed Oct 16, 2013 00:52

folks, i am concerned that the front mounted oil cooler on my 180 hp sedan is not letting the oil get to temp. always hovers about 160 max. anyone else having the same issue and any work around? any known issues with not getting up into the 180 range which i thought was required to burn off the crap in the oil??? thanks for any info.

joea
Site Admin

Re: oil temp on your 180 hp sedan

Post by joea » Tue Nov 19, 2013 08:10

David,

I have the same issue with the C-145 engine! Living here in Arizona you really need an oil cooler but about 10 months out of the year I have the inlet totally taped over to keep ANY air from getting into the cooler. Otherwise the temps barely get to 160 or so and I like to see at least 200 or so on the gauge.

You might try taping over at least a part of the oil cooler inlet and see if that helps!

Joe A

davidfair

Re: oil temp on your 180 hp sedan

Post by davidfair » Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:58

Thanks. I did indeed tape about half. I had a nice fitting winter cover on my previous cub, so this nasty looking tape ball wasn't pretty, but I was hopeful. It didn't help that it was -10f, but oil seemed to be still around 160. I'll try covering more next time and see what happens. I think a better oil temp guage with more range would help (preheating esp) since starting at 100 doesn't seem reasonable to expect to see from a lil buddy.