National Aeronca Association Bulletin Board

A discussion group for all Aeronca owners and fans
It is currently Sun May 28, 2017 07:33

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 16:08 

Has anyone here removed and replaced a wing strut attachment? (that's the fitting that the wing strut fitting is bolted to and is riveted to the spar web) I need to take it out since the nuts for the strut fitting got loosened and there is no way to get on the bolts without removing the attachment from the wing. The nuts only got loosened because the guy who did it didn't know at the time that the bolts only went through the attachment and not the wing spar. I'm not mentioning any names, since it is very embarrassing for the poor guy. It looks like I'll have to pull some skin to get to the rivets on both sides of the spar. I already installed an extra inspection hole there but I don't think that's going to be enough access unless I can find a very clever sheet metal guy with very small hands. If there's any experience and words of wisdom out there for this job, I'd appreciate it!.....Louis

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 03:07 

Louis:

Call Roger Weggel over at the school at the university end of the east ramp. If anyone would be able to help you, he would probably know who to call. He came by and looked at my wings Thursday, so He will probably have a good idea what you are talking about.

Dik

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 00:52 

Thanks. Talking to Roger about it is a really good idea. I usually see him at the EAA meetings. Did you do the corrosion inspection on your wings? Speaking of Roger, have you seen the Jenny since they hung it up in the new terminal?...Louis

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 08:13 
Site Admin

Louis,

Remember that the "Wing spar AD" AMOC allows Sedan owners to make "whatever sized opening needed to inspect the wing" to comply with the AD. You can make a small hole for a borescope or a larger one "as needed" to work on the wing.

Might look at putting a larger inspection hole cover where you need it to get to the inside of the wing to work on the fitting. Might be easier than pulling entire skins off of the airplane.

Joe A

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 15:56 

Louis:

I have basically done the AMOC myself, but now I will need to redo it for a qualified Maint man to sign off. The wings look good, no sign of corrosion . there was a lot of Tanana silt on top of the bottom wing skins and some staining in the tank bays from leaking fuel, other than that, they were clean as a whistle. I was able to access all of the back side of the spar without making any extra holes and only need small holes with pop in covers in front of the spar to get my scope into. It only requires about a 3/8 hole. I have not seen the Jenny yet. I am looking forward to it.

Dik