Oil Temperature in Winter

Aeronca Sedan Airplanes
Matt

Oil Temperature in Winter

Post by Matt » Tue Dec 17, 2013 01:37

Hi

Now that cold winter temperatures prevail in most of the Sedan countries, I would like to ask, what measures some of you are taking to assure sufficient oil temperature on your planes. I have a Continental O-300 engine, no oil cooler and the oil temperature reached only about 160 °F, last winter, if I remember correct. I would like to bring it up a bit for this season. The attached article states that a temperature of between 180 °F and 200 °F would be ideal to boil off humidity that has accumulated inside the engine.

1) Are you blocking any of the cowl's openings?
2) Which ones and how much of their areas?
3) Has anyone developed a clever type of cover, maybe even adjustable in area, that can easily be installed and removed? Maybe grabbing around the engine mount's front crossbar? (I fear damage to the paint, if I used duct tape.)

Thank you!

Matt

Aeronca 15AC Sedan – Restoring and flying the classic 4-seater: http://www.n1331h.com

joea
Site Admin

Re: Oil Temperature in Winter

Post by joea » Thu Jan 23, 2014 22:36

Matt,

Most of the year I block off the air inlet to the oil cooler and still there is enough air flow over/around the oil cooler to keep the temps at 180 or so. I do not like the oil temp to get lower than that anytime for the same reasons mentioned in the article you added to your post above.

That said, someone in the past put a upgraded oil cooler (Niagara Cooler) on the Sedan and its very effecient.

Joe A

Matt

Re: Oil Temperature in Winter

Post by Matt » Fri Jan 24, 2014 07:25

Thanks Joe,

I have just ordered a "Winter Front Kit" for the Sedan from Burl and plan to install it, before winter 2014/15.

Matt
Aeronca 15AC Sedan – Restoring and flying the classic 4-seater: http://www.n1331h.com