National Aeronca Association Bulletin Board

A discussion group for all Aeronca owners and fans
It is currently Wed May 24, 2017 18:22

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 13:54 

I just bought a set of fiberglass wheel pants on ebay. They appear to be the same style and size as the ones on N1459H on the Cover of Vintage Airplanes Feb 91 issue. Problem is they have no mounting hardware at all. Does anyone have any hardware for sale or drawings of the correct hardware? Pictures maybe? I grabbed them because they were cheap and since I am preparing to paint the plane it would be good to paint them to match at the same time. I am in no rush to install them, but would like to have the correct hardware.

Dik Holder, N1441H, Queen of the Berry Patch

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 00:58 

Hello Dik

If everything else fails, I could offer to have a pair of original design attach brackets made for you here in Switzerland. The ones for N1331H were made after an original pair. They turned out really nice, but, as with every custom made item, they took time and quite a bit of money. In this case about 8 hours and nearly $1000 (Swiss wages). But do consider that they were made to fit the original Consolidair Model 17 aluminum wheel pants. The ones on N1459H are definitely not the same shape, so the brackets or the wheel pants would certainly require specific adaptation.

http://www.n1331h.com/restoration/new-w ... s-tha.html

Matt

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 14:02 

Matt:

Thanks for the offer, but I dont think I am ready to spend $1000. Do you have any pictures of your brackets? Another question for you. Have you flown both with and without the pants on? They supposedly increase cruise speed by a little bit. Is that enough to justify putting them on? I probably wont fly around with them on anyway since I live in Alaska. They would tend to get beat up on some of the strips I intend to visit. I picked these up because I would like to have them in case I sell the plane some day. They were advertised as used, but I cant see any evidence that they were ever mounted on anything. The originals are probably laying around somewhere in this valley, since the plane has been here its entire life.

Thanks again for the reply.

Dik Holder, N1441H
Queen of the Berry Patch

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:48 

Dik

If you click on the link in my previous post, you will see a picture of the brackets we made. They are exact copies of the originals.

I really can't tell you the difference in speed with or without the pants. N1331H's first post-restoration flights were done without them. I seem to be getting the same speed with them mounted, now. But then I must also mention that I have a 76x45 prop. My impression is that the small pitch is the limiting factor, rather than the drag. I am getting 92 MPH IAS at 2450 RPM, but usually cruise at about 85 MPH or so at 2400 RPM. I suspect that the wheel pants would only marginally improve cruise speed, even with a coarser pitch prop, though. Someone else might be able to affirm or negate. Personally, I just like the Sedan's looks better with the wheel pants installed, that's all. If I lived in Alaska, I would jump at double-puck brakes and tundra wheels for off-airport fun! 8)

By the way, N1459H might never have had wheel pants at all, since they were offered as optional equipment by Aeronca.

Matt

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 13:26 

Thanks Matt, the restoration pictures are very helpful. I should look at them more often.

Dik

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 07:02 
Site Admin

Dik,

I have flown our Sedan both with and without the wheel pants and cannot feel or see much difference. On a long cross country flight perhaps...

Joe A

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 13:33 

Joe:

thanks for the input. I will probably just save the pants for sale time. Hope that wont be soon.

Dik