National Aeronca Association Bulletin Board

A discussion group for all Aeronca owners and fans
It is currently Wed May 24, 2017 18:21

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:41 

Hi folks. Just dug this up and thought it could be useful for someone here. There are two letters from Aeronca dated 1951 & 1977. Click the link below for the docs.

Happy landings!

http://s8.photobucket.com/user/aaryana/ ... ank%20Data

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 16:15 

Aryana,

The information you have provided must surely be of great interest to Sedan owners. I have looked through it to see if perhaps it was applicable to my 11AC but I guess not. Having come to that conclusion after only a cursory review, I will surely reread it much more thoroughly to confirm this. But first, I wish to ask of you and any other forum member if you or they are aware of such similar information having ever been generated by the company for the Chief product. It is of special interest
that this data about the Sedan includes information which potentially impacts W&B, placarding and safe operation of the aircraft. It may be that all of the same points are covered in Sedan-specific documents and perhaps other responders will clarify this.

I have the Service Manual, most,if not all, of the revelant drawings, and no knowledge of other manufacturer generated information pertaining to the 11 AC about the Auxiliary Fuel System for the 11 AC. Again, if anyone does have Chief specific related data, please share it with me.

Dale

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 04:12 

Dale,

Are you talking about the rear Aux tank in the Chief or about a wing tank(s) for the Chief?

Bob

rkittine@aol.com

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 05:03 

Bob,

I am talking about the "Auxiliary Fuel Tank" which is nominally 8 gal capacity and located aft of the baggage compartment and above it. As far as I know it was a standard part/capability in the 11 AC, at least, and often unused or misused. It is documented in the Chief Service manual.

Are there other auxiliary tank configurations for which there are Aeronca generated descriptive correspondence/drawings for the Chief Series ? If so, do you have any of the drawing numbers ? I may have some of the information but can't access it by name/descriptor/topic.

Dale

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 05:03 

Bob,

I am talking about the "Auxiliary Fuel Tank" which is nominally 8 gal capacity and located aft of the baggage compartment and above it. As far as I know it was a standard part/capability in the 11 AC, at least, and often unused or misused. It is documented in the Chief Service manual.

Are there other auxiliary tank configurations for which there are Aeronca generated descriptive correspondence/drawings for the Chief Series ? If so, do you have any of the drawing numbers ? I may have some of the information but can't access it by name/descriptor/topic.

Dale

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 07:23 

EDGEFLY wrote:
Aryana,

The information you have provided must surely be of great interest to Sedan owners. I have looked through it to see if perhaps it was applicable to my 11AC but I guess not. Having come to that conclusion after only a cursory review, I will surely reread it much more thoroughly to confirm this. But first, I wish to ask of you and any other forum member if you or they are aware of such similar information having ever been generated by the company for the Chief product. It is of special interest
that this data about the Sedan includes information which potentially impacts W&B, placarding and safe operation of the aircraft. It may be that all of the same points are covered in Sedan-specific documents and perhaps other responders will clarify this.

I have the Service Manual, most,if not all, of the revelant drawings, and no knowledge of other manufacturer generated information pertaining to the 11 AC about the Auxiliary Fuel System for the 11 AC. Again, if anyone does have Chief specific related data, please share it with me.

Dale

As indicated by the letters from the factory, all this data is specific to the Sedan. The older legacy aircraft designs like the Chief had a lot more effort into their design and documentation. I don't think your chances are very good for finding similar notes & sketches for the 11AC IMO.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 13:39 

Dale,
There was an under seat tank used on the early Chiefs, the 65LA or LB's. It had a wobble pump to move the fuel up to the main tank.
Paul

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 18:40 
Site Admin

As far as I know, the 8 gallon rear aux fuel tank was the only one factory approved on the Chief.

Truthfully 23 gallons would be an awful lot of fuel but someone like Ian living in Australia might want to have more and in that case I would try to do a "one time" field approval on two 5.5 gallon wing tanks. After all, the wing are exactly the same on the Chief and Champ so fitting them is is easy and the only real mod would be the fuel lines and I would do them just like the STC that comes with the tanks for the Champ.

Arash,

Thanks VERY MUCH for this! Sorry have been flying and not able to get back with you! This data, both from 1951 and later is excellent!

Joe A

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:34 

My pleasure Joe. It belongs in the hands of the Sedan community and I should have dug it up sooner.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 14:18 
Site Admin

Appreciate the help and if you find any other documentation, please let us know!

BTW have you heard anything from the folks up in the GWN who bought your old Sedan? Wondered how they are getting along with it?

Joe A

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 15:04 

I haven't heard anything from them. I tried calling and emailing but no luck. I am really curious to see how N1120H ended up!