Could use some input on removal/replace of the fuel bladders

Aeronca Sedan Airplanes
joea
Site Admin

Could use some input on removal/replace of the fuel bladders

Post by joea » Tue Sep 30, 2014 18:52

Well folks,

Time has come... I did the shock cords 2-3 years ago and learned a lot about the Sedan doing this.

Now one of my fuel bladders has started leaking so its time to pull both of them out and hopefully get them rebuilt/overhauled.

Has anyone done this "on the wing" without removing the wing? This one has the large oval hole on the top of the wing to access the fuel cell bladder. The earlier ones (we are doing Sedan #067 right now with the small round hole but the wings are off) with the round hole are simply too small but wondering if the later models could be done?

Would really like to not have to remove the wing if at all possible... Any tips?

Thx,

Joe A

dikholder

Re: Could use some input on removal/replace of the fuel blad

Post by dikholder » Wed Oct 01, 2014 13:37

Joe:

U should be able to do it with the wings on. Just remove the fairings at the wingroot to expose the connections. It will be a little bit more difficult, I think you can do it. My wings were off already and I was putting in metal tanks. You cant do that with the wings on, but replacing bladders should be fairly easy.

Dik Holder N1441H, Queen of the Berry Patch

joea
Site Admin

Post by joea » Wed Oct 01, 2014 13:53

Dik,

Thanks much and was hoping to hear that. I know that there is no way with metal tanks but was hoping that the bladders might just go in/come out through the top.

Other option would be to remove the false rib on the end of the wing and take it out that way but lets see!

Thx,

Joe A

dikholder

Post by dikholder » Fri Oct 03, 2014 01:51

Joe:

that False Rib has a bunch of rivets that have to be drilled and punched out. that was part of the tank installation process too. I had already taken the bladders out through that oval hole in the wing top long before I drilled out the rivets. As long as your arms arent short it should be fairly easy. Getting them back in and snapping the snap in the top will definitely take a longer arm.

Good luck with it.

Dik

joea
Site Admin

Post by joea » Fri Oct 03, 2014 07:27

Thanks and the second Sedan we are doing has that rib taken out. Was wondering if we would have to do that as well.

Lets see and will give it a try through the oval hole first...

Thx,

Joe