New bearing kits for aileron and elevator bellcranks

Aeronca Sedan Airplanes
AV8R2

New bearing kits for aileron and elevator bellcranks

Post by AV8R2 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 19:45

We have just completed the engineering and prototyping of new aileron and elevator bellcrank bearing replacement kits.

The original Nice 1200-17 sanded bearings, which were poor at best when new, are no longer available. In our pursuit of replacements
for the new Sedans we decided to use parts that are of much better quality and that are readily available in the market place.

These kits use MS Series sealed bearings that cost about $35-$40 each. There are two bearings in each kit for each bellcrank.
After removing the original Nice bearings and any spacers, clean the bellcranks and retreat/paint as needed. An adapter bushing is pressed into the bellcrank first and then the bearings are pressed into the bushing. Installation, adjustment and rigging will remain the same as originally designed by Aeronca.

These kits will sell for around $150.00 for each bellcrank. (I tried to attach pics but was unable. If you wish to see pics PM me and I will send them to you. Perhaps someone else knows how to post pics and can add them to this thread.)

Burl
When all else fails, go to the source. Factory Approved parts and data will get you back in the air.

hangerash

Re: New bearing kits for aileron and elevator bellcranks

Post by hangerash » Fri Oct 24, 2014 18:09

AV8R2

Post by AV8R2 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 18:59

Richard,

Thanks for the help; darned if I can figure some of these things out. That's why I don't do my own website!

Burl
When all else fails, go to the source. Factory Approved parts and data will get you back in the air.

joea
Site Admin

Post by joea » Sun Oct 26, 2014 07:17

Great to see!

If you have problems posting photos in the future, just send them to me and will assist.

Joe A

AV8R2

Post by AV8R2 » Sat May 30, 2015 14:36

Well, all things being equal in today's economy my projected "guesstimate" for cost on these kits went out the window when all was said and done.

Engineering costs were several thousands of dollars. (More than 5, less then 10) Material costs were more, machining was more than expected and the bearings took a hike after the 1st of the year, so............The cost per kit, regardless of which one; aileron wing bellcrank, aileron fuselage bellcrank or elevator fuselage bellcrank, is $225.00 each. Wish it didn't have to be so but this is what it has to be.

The good news is that you don't need any FAA Approval to install. An A&P can install and make logbook entry only. Virtually no weight change but kit is lighter than original bearings by an ounce or two. Plus these will last a very long time and the bearings can be purchased at local bearing outlets for aircraft MS Series bearings.

The kits will come with the Delrin bushing, 2 each of the MS Series sealed bearings and an Instruction, Operation and Maintenance manual. I also included an excerpt from the 15AC Sedan Service Manual on rigging of aileron cables and ailerons as well as the rigging the elevator cable and the connecting rod to activate the elevator bellcrank, etc.

Kits are becoming popular; several sold already. Visa and MasterCard accepted; (907)688-3715 to order.
New shop hours: Tuesday thru Friday 8:00 AM - 6:00 PM; closed Saturday, Sunday & Monday.

Burl

joea
Site Admin

Post by joea » Sat May 30, 2015 15:25

Burl,

Thanks for this and any photos of the new kit? Or do they look just like the ones in the photo above?

Joe A