Anyone have an alternator on a Sedan with the Continental?

Aeronca Sedan Airplanes
joea
Site Admin

Anyone have an alternator on a Sedan with the Continental?

Post by joea » Sat May 27, 2017 07:45

Anyone have an alternator on their Sedan thats using the Continental engine?

Reason I ask is that we are building up 2-3 engines for two Sedans at our airport and was just fiddling with an O-200 engine out of a 1970's Cessna C-152. Its really the same as the C-145/O-300 engine with only 4 cylinders... but it has an alternator.

First off it produces electricity at a lower RPM, is lighter than the original generator and produces more amps than the generator. Lastly I believe that its a "bolt on" modification that other than paperwork, is an easy modification.

Am guessing that there are thousands of these "upgrades" out there but on the early Cessna C-172 using the same engine. Anyone ever see this on a Sedan?

EDIT, have now been told that these alternators are on C-150 Cessna's, that the C-152's had Lycoming engines in them.

Paul Agaliotis

Re: Anyone have an alternator on a Sedan with the Continenta

Post by Paul Agaliotis » Sat May 27, 2017 20:55

Joe,
There is a STC for that modification. Shouldn't be much of a problem. STA # SA10921SC.
Paul
Mailing Adress : Paul Agaliotis 2060 E. San Martin, San Martin,Calif. 95046

AV8R2

Post by AV8R2 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 19:15

Check out the Luscombe site; they have an STC for an alternator to cover the Sedan; Matt Sieber used it when he did his restoration. I convinced the Holder to add the Sedan so I could export it to Matt and other foreign owners. I can only export this STC/Kit. I cannot sell domestically; the Holder retains that authority.

Burl
When all else fails, go to the source. Factory Approved parts and data will get you back in the air.

Dbeck

Post by Dbeck » Wed Jun 14, 2017 16:23

Joe -

Just last year I put the Plane Power alternator conversion on my O-300 powered Sedan. The Sedan is listed on the STC so easy-peezy on the paperwork.

The quality of the kit is first-rate. Includes a solid state voltage regulator. Current price on Spruce is $745. Keep in mind you'll likely need some other odds and ends so budget around $1000 plus install costs (I did the work, my IA inspected it.)

The weight and size vs the 25 amp generator was HALF with TWICE the output. The STC allows you to keep your current distribution system as long as you don't exceed the amperage requirements listed in 43.13 of your wiring and breakers/fuses. In my case, I opted to take advantage of the full 50 amps so had to rewire much of the airplane, switching from 10 AWG to 8AWG, which is almost 2x as thick and more like a cable than a wire. Also, my ammeter was only rated for 30 amps so I switched it out with an EI Volt/Ammeter. Mission creep is easy with this project. Installing the alternator/voltage regulator turned out to only be 10% of the work - everything else was updating the electrical system.

But now I know my electrical is solid. Whereas before I was always counting every amp and using LED bulbs, ect, now I have plenty to go around. I also found out my better-half had a more comprehensive understanding of electricity than I thought when she now demanded a percentage of the new capability be used to give her a heated seat :D

Overall, I would say it is a worthy upgrade. I know there are other kits and STC's to use automotive alternators but the Plane Power kit is worth every penny in my opinion. Let me know if you want any more information.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/e ... ckkey=3929

ER 14-50 is the kit you want.

Best regards,

Doug

joea
Site Admin

Post by joea » Thu Jun 15, 2017 09:26

Dbeck wrote:Joe -

Just last year I put the Plane Power alternator conversion on my O-300 powered Sedan. The Sedan is listed on the STC so easy-peezy on the paperwork.

The quality of the kit is first-rate. Includes a solid state voltage regulator. Current price on Spruce is $745. Keep in mind you'll likely need some other odds and ends so budget around $1000 plus install costs (I did the work, my IA inspected it.)

The weight and size vs the 25 amp generator was HALF with TWICE the output. The STC allows you to keep your current distribution system as long as you don't exceed the amperage requirements listed in 43.13 of your wiring and breakers/fuses. In my case, I opted to take advantage of the full 50 amps so had to rewire much of the airplane, switching from 10 AWG to 8AWG, which is almost 2x as thick and more like a cable than a wire. Also, my ammeter was only rated for 30 amps so I switched it out with an EI Volt/Ammeter. Mission creep is easy with this project. Installing the alternator/voltage regulator turned out to only be 10% of the work - everything else was updating the electrical system.

But now I know my electrical is solid. Whereas before I was always counting every amp and using LED bulbs, ect, now I have plenty to go around. I also found out my better-half had a more comprehensive understanding of electricity than I thought when she now demanded a percentage of the new capability be used to give her a heated seat :D

Overall, I would say it is a worthy upgrade. I know there are other kits and STC's to use automotive alternators but the Plane Power kit is worth every penny in my opinion. Let me know if you want any more information.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/e ... ckkey=3929

ER 14-50 is the kit you want.

Best regards,

Doug
Doug,

thanks VERY much and its comments like this that are starting to sway me towards this unit.

One thing you might do, in the old days I would turn the landing lights on and found that I could not transmit as there was not enough power. Swap out the bulbs with LED units taking 10% of the power of the old units and life is good again. Even enough juice for your wife's electric vest!

Thanks,

joe A

Dbeck

Post by Dbeck » Thu Jun 15, 2017 14:13

Once I installed the EI digital ammeter, I could turn on each item while on battery and see it's exact draw. I found what you did - that before the LED landing light and alternator upgrade, my electrical system was being maxed out during night flight, not exactly a warm fuzzy feeling.

joea
Site Admin

Post by joea » Thu Jun 15, 2017 16:56

We finally realized that we could not transmit with the landing lights on! Duh!