#of Sedans

Aeronca Sedan Airplanes
tccak

#of Sedans

Post by tccak » Fri Feb 03, 2006 18:26

First of all I wanted to say that I am new to the forum. I don't own an Aeronca (yet) but am looking at one now. Perusing this forum I have found some excellent information.

As a follow up to my previous "guest" post (questions about purchase of 15AC) joea stated that "the vast majority of them are in Canada or Alaska because they will haul a very good load and take landing on just about anything."

I didn't have a clue as to how many were manufactured let alone still around. I assumed there were quite a few Sedans still flying as I have seen them at all three local g/a airports. I found a site that said out of 561 Sedans manufactured, 256 were registered and flying and of these 76 are located in Alaska.

I thought that was interesting and that I would share it. Here's the site (I hope). Of course I have not officially checked these numbers, but according to others on this forum the 561/256 sound correct, therefore I would give merit to the 76# I found on the internet.

http://www.flyinghigher.net/aeronca/N1220H.php

The one I'm looking at is N1407H.

Tim
:D

joea
Site Admin

Post by joea » Sat Feb 04, 2006 06:36

Tim,

Excellent site and thanks for sharing it with us.

Glad you got on, and appreciate Brian lending a hand.

Hope the Sedan purchase works out, they are very good airplanes!

JoeA

Captgrumps

Post by Captgrumps » Sat Feb 04, 2006 13:03

Currently there are 240 Sedans registered and 71 of them are in Alaska. From current FAA records. Check it out yourself,

http://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinquiry/defimg.asp

sedanpilot

number in Canada

Post by sedanpilot » Tue Feb 07, 2006 00:55

There are still a lot of them flying in other contries as well as the US. Up here in the Great White North, a lot of Sedans go back ond forth between the US and Canada. As long as the airplane isn't in the Canadian owner maintainence program, it works well. There are also some typo's in the registry data so not all Sedans come up in a quick search. I checked the Transort Canada site and there are 35 in Canada. It is a great airplane, simple and rugged and carries quite a bit. Some have but on weight over the years and the payload isn't what it used to be. (liks some of us) I looked at one with a franklin in it and it was a over 1340 lb empty. one of ours is 1220 with the continental c145, and the other is 1320 also with the continental but a reconditioned and repainted twice paint job. We also have big tires and big brakes which adds to the weight.