Rear seat and wing fairings

Aeronca Sedan Airplanes
CptBach

Rear seat and wing fairings

Post by CptBach » Tue Apr 04, 2006 16:54

Getting down to the nitty/gritty, I realize I have no idea how the rear seat is supposed to sit.

The front crossbar is all set, the seat attaches to it with snaps...but what happens at the back? Anybody have a picture or a narrative as to how to?

Next, I'm cutting wing fairings: does the flange at the fuselage of the lower set bend up or down? I'll wait to hang the wings for the final fit, but I have no drawings that show orientation.

One more thing: the fairings between the landing gear attach to a bracket that moves up and down as the gear flexes. How much space should there be between the bottom cowl and the fairings when all the weight is on the airplane. In other words, how far below the belly does that bracket extend?

Without the wings on, that bracket is still a good 1 1/2 inches above the belly. I'm wondering if I need to install more spacers at the top of the assembly.

Any pictures or observations to solve these vexers is appreciated.

Thanks,

Rob

sedanpilot

seat and fairings

Post by sedanpilot » Sun Apr 09, 2006 12:45

We have two Sedans and I checked both (and they are actually the same)and here is what I found.

The seat is a sling seat. The front edge wraps around the removable tube behind your knees and the back upper wraps around a tube and snaps using a fastener that goes through and does a 1/4 turn. There is no attachment behind/below you butt, it's just a sling.

Both our fairings, the flange goes down next to the fuselage. I measured it and it is .32 inches. The other edge has a small bend in it, about 10 degrees 3/4 inch in from the end to give it a little stiffness.

If you are messing around with this, you must be getting close.

With respect to the gear, on our airplanes if the bungees are new, the gear is against the stops with the airplane empty on wheels. (and even loaded ready for takeoff) Before I changed the bungees, there was a gap about 1 inch between the gear and the stop. With new bungees, it is snug. There is supposed to be a preload stretching the bungees when they are new or still in good shape if the stop is the right thickness. When the bungees are right, there is a slight bend in the lower fairing, but not much. It should seal fairly tightly and there should be rubber trim on the edges to seal or you can get exhaust in the cabin.

if you e.mail me, I could take a couple of pictures.

joea
Site Admin

Post by joea » Sun Apr 09, 2006 13:05

Pls email me your direct email address as well. Another Sedan owner sent me some stuff to forward to you. Have been getting ready to head overseas again and it slipped through the cracks.

Thx,

Joe A

joeaksa@attglobal.net

sedanpilot

Seat pics

Post by sedanpilot » Mon Apr 10, 2006 21:36

I sent an e.mail with some seat pics and one of our airplane parked at Skwentna just for fun. Let me know if they don't get through.