Looking for some help

National Aeronca Association topics
bwmatz
Site Admin

Looking for some help

Post by bwmatz » Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:42

Those of you who were with us at the convention in Middletown heard the announcement that Aeronca, Inc. has offered to take on the task of scanning the entire collection of drawings that were donated to the NAA and under the care of John Houser. Many were concerned about John's health and the task of distributing the drawings to others is becoming too much for him.

I received a DVD from Aeronca's Keith Wyman that has all the drawings scanned to date...there are 3,579 of them scanned! Diana Brashear at Aeronca has taken on the task to do this for us in addition to her "real" job there and has done a fantastic job creating high quality PDFs of each drawing.

I am now faced with the task of coming up with a way to catalog what we have and a way to distribute them to those who need them. I would be more than happy to talk to those of you who are computer savy to share ideas about how to begin this immense task.

My initial thought was to create a searchable database (MS Access) containing information about each drawing...ie. drawing number, description, aircraft model, drawing condition, etc. Using this information, we would then group the drawings by aircraft and be in a postion to provide CDs or DVDs to NAA members and others who need them. Careful thought about how we do this now will save us much work in the future. I know just enough about Access to be dangerous, so I welcome anyone with more experience creating useful Access databases to offer their knowledge.

This is good stuff!
Brian Matz
1946 11AC NC9485E
S/N 11AC-1121
Based @ Barber Airport, Alliance, OH (2D1)
bwmatz11ac@yahoo.com

Nathan K. Hammond

Post by Nathan K. Hammond » Thu Jun 22, 2006 11:32

Brian, have you got a copy of the Northlands PA-18 CD, they did the same thing with all of the SuperCub drawings. It's set up using Adobe as the directory, which is different but usable.

I think the best way to do it, is too seperate the drawings by Model. All of the 11 series on a disk, all 7 series on a seperate disk, etc... Then break down the drawings into accociated groups; wing, tail, gear, fueslage, systems, etc.... Having a search function would be nice, but not neccesary if the drawings are grouped properly. Using MSAccess sounds like it will work great.

If you want, I'll dig out my Northlands CD and ship it up to ya for a look.

nkh
7AC-5691
Super 85-12F @ DVK

Captgrumps

Post by Captgrumps » Thu Jun 22, 2006 14:28

Don't forget all the Prewar on one disk. There is alot of difference in certain areas on the Prewars, i.e, spars, gear, ribs and etc. First ones had paper rib gussets. You will note the Prewars have only one AD 47-30-08 on the seat installation--permanent or sliding. Also some approx. 78 Prewar Chiefs had a dual stick installation. They were built for CPT competition, but lost out. Still looking for a control wheel for mine.

Doug
Keep the pointed end forward--
The dirty side down.....
And the blue skies on top....

bwmatz
Site Admin

Post by bwmatz » Thu Jun 22, 2006 14:47

The plan is, as Nathan suggested, to make one disc per aircraft, containing all the drawings we have for that particular aircraft.
Brian Matz
1946 11AC NC9485E
S/N 11AC-1121
Based @ Barber Airport, Alliance, OH (2D1)
bwmatz11ac@yahoo.com

Mikek

Re: Looking for some help

Post by Mikek » Thu Jun 22, 2006 21:51

What has www.aeronca.com (Todd) been doing over the years, can he
help or is this a NAA thing.

Mikek

bwmatz wrote: so I welcome anyone with more experience creating useful Access databases to offer their knowledge.

This is good stuff!
Mike Knemeyer

1410 Meadow Lane
Yellow Springs,Ohio 45387

3oh0
N83348 7AC-2015
N82146 7AC-772