Joe Abrahamson Visit in his Aeronca Sedan

National Aeronca Association topics
Robert Henley

Joe Abrahamson Visit in his Aeronca Sedan

Post by Robert Henley » Sun Jun 14, 2009 18:00

Joe flew into Payson, AZ on Saturday, June 13. He called ahead of time to make sure I would be here. I have been after him to come up for a visit and take a look at my Champ project.

Our local EAA Chapter 810 was flying Young Eagles that morning. It was National Young Eagles Day. We flew about 37 kids. It was a little windy with a crosswind of about 10 or so knots. Joe showed up around 9 am or so. His approach to Rwy 6 was professionally flown with the proper speed and rate of descent . . . . . for a Bombardier Challenger jet. :D But the Aeronca Sedan didn’t complain and did Joe proud in the way it handled the situation.

My wife, Ann, and I had a real nice visit with Joe after we completed our YE obligations. We gave Joe a quick tour of our house and hangar just off the airport. Then I found out why he came to visit.

Joe informed me I was the 20,000th post on this forum! He came with gifts from the Association. It included patches, decals, Aeronca ball cap, two Aeronca t-shirts, and an Aeronca coffee mug. What a nice gesture. It also included a hand-written note from our Association’s President, Jim Thompson. I didn’t realize that people still did that, handwritten notes that is.

So to Jim and all the Board members – Thank you so much. This forum has been invaluable as I continue the work on my Champ. I would not be anywhere near as confident in my work if I didn’t have this forum to get my questions answered.

With that said, I did send Joe my $25 membership renewal along with my Florian Shears payment. It is well worth the price.

I urge the rest of you to forward a $25 check or cash to NAA for your membership renewal. Let’s make sure this forum is always available when we log in.

Regards

Robert
1947 7AC Champ
N3621E, 7AC-6950
Cont C-85-12F
Restoring

joea
Site Admin

Post by joea » Sun Jun 14, 2009 19:34

Robert,

Glad to get with you and nice to meet your wife. Robert has a very nice house at the airport in Payson and a hangar that I would almost give my left arm for, so am very envious.

He is right in the middle of restoring a Champ and doing excellent work on it. Cannot wait to see the outcome and know I will as I have been doing the judging at Casa Grande on the Aeroncas.

Sometime around March or so Robert made the 20,000th post on this bulletin board, so I contacted the NAA board of directors. Betty Thompson was very nice and put together a excellent gift package of things for Robert and Jim included a excellent letter to him, so was very glad to present it to Robert and his wife.

Will post a photo as soon as I can get my computer to stop playing games with my USB ports!

Joe A

joea
Site Admin

Post by joea » Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:39

Well, I was finally able to get the photo downloaded from my BlackBerry!

The camera that I brought along to take good photos of the Henley's and their Champ had a bad memory card in it, so fell back to the blackberry and of course it needs a special cable and so on...

Anyway good to get up to Payson and very happy to give the gifts to them!

Joe A