Battery under the front seat

Aircraft electrical systems. Generators, both engine and wind driven. Other electrical systems, wiring, fuses, lighting and so on.
Champ Dreamer

Battery under the front seat

Post by Champ Dreamer » Fri Dec 16, 2011 18:09

Has anyone installed a battery (Odysey, actually) under the front seat? I am looking for a 337 to reference.

Thanks!

Brian walker
N1197E '46 7AC

Larry

Re: Battery under the front seat

Post by Larry » Sat Dec 17, 2011 17:58

Brian, I have a field approved 337 for installing the Odysey battery under the front seat. Send me an email and I will email you back a copy of the 337 plus some photos.

corvette1996(at)gmail(dot)com

I also installed a light weight starter on my C-85, so the 337 includes the starter relay, push button, wiring, bracket, etc.
Larry Clark
7AC/BCM N84096
Oro Valley, AZ

Jerry Jackson

Post by Jerry Jackson » Sun Dec 18, 2011 06:54

Larry, I would like to receive a copy of your 337 also. Thanks
jacksonjerry@att.net
Jerry Jackson
San Antonio
7ECA 65TC
8T8

Ralph W. Fadner

Post by Ralph W. Fadner » Fri Feb 08, 2013 14:45

Hello All;
Re-visiting the battery paperwork issues........I'd like to gather a few previously accomplished FAA field approvals for similar installations on comparable makes & models to submit as acceptable data supporting my 337 field approval request. 7AC Conv. w/ C-85-12F under Lasher STC. (I like the option of using the Aeronca "Y" stacks) Battery will be a Odessey PC-680, under front seat or between rudder pedals to keep cables short. I know you guy & gals have a wealth of info & data out and any help would be appreciated.

In the end this project will have a C-85-12FJH converted back to a straight -12F with a T.T.I.S. since NEW of 417 hrs., every part mics within new limits! :D With the STC'd Sky-Tec starter and adding a quick plug in solar trickle charge just may keep the 496 GPS & VHF on line on the longer flights. I may add a B&C alternator later but only if needed.

Appreciate any help with a few 337's. PM is encouraged: 206pilot(at)charter(dot)net

Thanks, Ralph
RW Fadner

EDGEFLY

Post by EDGEFLY » Sat Feb 09, 2013 17:09

Ralph,

I saw where you were thinking of adding an alternator but that is apparently not part of your plan for installing the Odessey battery at this time. Aside from the solar possibly how are you planning to access the Odessey battery for conventional make up charging if necessary ?

Dale

EDGEFLY

Post by EDGEFLY » Sat Feb 09, 2013 17:13

Larry,

Please add me to those who would like your 337. <tmail51a@gmail.com>

Thanks.

Dale

Ralph W. Fadner

Post by Ralph W. Fadner » Sat Feb 09, 2013 21:06

Hi Dale,

My plan is a "drop dead" system without a engine driven charging system to keep things simple for now. Periodic ground charging will be done in the hanger with an Odyssey Ultimizer Charger, either a OMAX-12A-1B or OMAX-25A-1B model. Inflight or on the road camping would be a solar unit.....BatteryMINDer has a selection of low power solar chargers for that purpose. (BTW don't confuse "Battery Tender" units which are in my un-abashed opinion: far inferior to the "batteryMINDder" brand) Since the battery is a Dry Cell (starved electrolyte) Absorbed Glass Mat tecnology and can be mounted in any position without spillage issues, mine is planed for under the forward edge of the front seat. Acces is straight forward without having to move the seat. This position will minimize the effect on the EWCG point.
Maintaining a sufficient charge with this set-up should not be a problem but if it is then the B&C light weight alternator may be a solution. It should be doable without too much hassel but I'll deal with it only if I have to.

Regards, Ralph
RW Fadner

Ralph W. Fadner

Post by Ralph W. Fadner » Sat Feb 09, 2013 21:06

Hi Dale,

My plan is a "drop dead" system without a engine driven charging system to keep things simple for now. Periodic ground charging will be done in the hanger with an Odyssey Ultimizer Charger, either a OMAX-12A-1B or OMAX-25A-1B model. Inflight or on the road camping would be a solar unit.....BatteryMINDer has a selection of low power solar chargers for that purpose. (BTW don't confuse "Battery Tender" units which are in my un-abashed opinion: far inferior to the "batteryMINDder" brand) Since the battery is a Dry Cell (starved electrolyte) Absorbed Glass Mat tecnology and can be mounted in any position without spillage issues, mine is planed for under the forward edge of the front seat. Acces is straight forward without having to move the seat. This position will minimize the effect on the EWCG point.
Maintaining a sufficient charge with this set-up should not be a problem but if it is then the B&C light weight alternator may be a solution. It should be doable without too much hassel but I'll deal with it only if I have to.

Regards, Ralph
RW Fadner

bob turner

Post by bob turner » Tue Dec 16, 2014 20:05

Did you guys ever get your field approvals?