Queen of the Berry Patch

Aeronca Sedan Airplanes
Dennis

Re: Queen of the Berry Patch

Post by Dennis » Fri Jun 20, 2014 19:10

Dik,

I'll be passing through North Pole on June 25. Would love to have a look. My wife said I could drop her at the Christmas store.

Dennis

dikholder

Post by dikholder » Sat Jun 21, 2014 01:26

Dennis:

would love to show it to you. It is actually on Eielson AFB. I can take you out there if you are around long enough. IF you are coming up the Richardson Hwy be sure to stop at the Knotty shop southeast of Eielson about 8 miles. It is a much better gift shop than Santa Claus House and all their stuff is Alaskan made.They have an excellent selection of ice creams too. Not the case with Santa Claus House. I am going to be flying an Air Force Red Flag sortie on the 25th, but should be done by about 5:30 in the afternoon. Give me a call when you get into the area on my cell 322-7287.

Dik

Louis

Post by Louis » Sat Jun 21, 2014 13:59

Ditto on the endorsement of the Knotty Shop over the Santa Claus House. Check out their Taxidermy and Gun display. I recommend the Blueberry Cheesecake ice cream.

Dik: Your Sedan looks nice! Great progress. Maybe you can come over here and finish mine now :lol: Who are you getting to inspect your wings? I went through mine (I went ahead and cut the big holes) and they look pretty good in my opinion, but I would feel better getting a second opinion.

If you guys want to get together for Coffee and compare notes on Sedans let me know. I'm at lknapp@polarnet.com or 452-1590...Louis

dikholder

Post by dikholder » Sat Jun 21, 2014 14:12

Louis:

I am getting Tim Berg to do it. Would have either tried him or Roger W. Tim is a Guard guy so he comes out to Eielson quite often anyway. Got to get someone to do the annual next. It will probably take me at least two weeks to get her put back together and do all the little mechanical things that need done before that. I bought new rubber for the Landing Light lense and I think I might have enough extra to do yours if you want it.

Dik

Healy

Post by Healy » Sat Jun 21, 2014 15:41

Dik

Where did you find the rubber at? I had bought some from Burl but it was a tad short on width

Fred

dikholder

Post by dikholder » Sat Jun 21, 2014 20:23

Healy:

Got it from Univair. They list it as a stinson window molding and it comes as two separate parts, the main molding and the filler strip. Looks the same as the original to me.

Dik

dikholder

Post by dikholder » Mon Aug 18, 2014 17:51

Got my spar inspection done a couple of weeks ago using the AMOC. Thanks for that one guys. I put about 3 quarts of ACF-50 onto the spars and then put the wings back on in a friends hangar in North Pole. I have been wiping ACF-50 drips off the wings for about a week. I spent almost a week putting the Landing light lense back in. Broke the one which was on the plane when I got it. I made a duplicate to the same dimensions only to discover that the old one was too small by about 3/8 inch. So, made another one from an old desk top protector (Plexiglass) using a jig I made from the broken one and a heat gun to melt it into shape. Took three of us to get it installed, but she is there now and looks ok.

Louis

Post by Louis » Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:13

I should visit here more often. Thanks Dik, I bought a landing lens kit from Burl a while back so that should work. the rubber on the old one was getting pretty rotten.

I feel like I'm finally back on track with my project now. I inspected the wings and they appeared corrosion free to me, but I got a very experienced local AI over here yesterday for a second opinion and he said the wings look really good so maybe things can FINALLY start coming back together!..Louis

dikholder

Post by dikholder » Sun Aug 24, 2014 13:27

Thats great Louis. I have mine put together now in Lee Griffins hangar out in North Pole and I hope to get it anualed before freezeup at least. I had my inspection done about a month ago by Tim B. It was ok too. It still drips an occasional drop of ACF-50 out of the wings. I got a great deal on a Concorde Battery from ABS. Sold it to me for $240. Same price Tamarack and Northland wanted for a Gill. He had been setting on them for quite a while and didnt know why they weren't selling. He had been asking $378 for them. I need to get it weighed now and do leak checks on the fuel system before handing it over to the A & P. Keep in touch.

Dik

Louis

Post by Louis » Tue Aug 26, 2014 23:12

Thanks. Did you end up repainting the wings? I've definitely got some stripping and painting along with a little sheet metal work to do on mine. Who is doing your annual? Lee has a nice setup over there. Looks like the T-28 is up and roaring around this summer! Take care....Louis

dikholder

Post by dikholder » Wed Aug 27, 2014 01:47

Louis:

I painted the whole plane before the inspection and then shot the ACF-50 onto the spars before we put it back together. Paint had probably cured about a month before I did the ACF-50 treatment. Yes Lee does have a nice hangar. The T-28 still has some problems. He planned to fly it to Oshkosh, but didnt make it because of generator problems. Curt Hamlin is doing my annual. I got several gremlins out of my light switches tonight. Now all the exterior lights work. I still need to trace some wiring on my C-4 and overhead lights. We got the brakes bled tonight too. She is getting closer. I am just waiting for Roger to come out and weigh her, then I will leak test the fuel system and see if she runs or not. after that, I will give it to Curtis for the annual.

Dik
N1441H, Queen of the Berry Patch

Matt

Post by Matt » Wed Sep 03, 2014 14:57

Received the following today and posting it on Dik's behalf:

"This evening we cranked the Queen of the Berry Patch up for the first run in over 40 years. After a lengthy warm up period and some of the normal pretakeoff engine checks, I taxied her about 250 yards from a friends hangar to the A & P who will give her the first annual inspection she has had in 40 years. I hope to get her airborne in the next two weeks. Please update the pictures of our planes files with these shots. Thanks again for your help and encourgement in this project.

Dik Holder
N1441H, the Queen of the Berry Patch"

Aeronca 15AC Sedan – Restoring and flying the classic 4-seater: http://www.n1331h.com

dikholder

Post by dikholder » Thu Sep 04, 2014 14:57

Thanks Mat for posting this for me. The Queen is waiting now outside a local A & Ps' shop for its annual. i used Stewarts Systems products from start to finish. Overall, I liked their products. This was my first airplane project, so the learning curve was quite steep. If I ever do another one I will do much better. I did not add too many Doo-dads to it, a fishing rod tube, a modern ELT, Burls' metal fuel tanks, and a yoke mounted GPS. It is heavier than I would have thought at 1300#. Still a useful load of 750# is not too bad. I added a couple of stripes and some stars and red wing tips and tail flash to an otherwise stock paint scheme. I did that more for visibility sake than anything else. But I do like the overall effect.

Dik

joea
Site Admin

Post by joea » Sat Sep 06, 2014 14:17

Dik,

Looks very nice! Considering where you live, I would have done the color accents as well.

Glad to see another Sedan back up in the air (or close to it!)!

Joe A

Matt

Post by Matt » Wed Dec 24, 2014 14:38

Hi Dik

Has the Queen flown, yet?

Matt
Aeronca 15AC Sedan – Restoring and flying the classic 4-seater: http://www.n1331h.com