tailwheels revisited

Landing gear, wheels, brakes and tailwheels for all aircraft.
RMASS

tailwheels revisited

Post by RMASS »

guys have a scott 2000 is there a way to test the locking part of this not on the plane? I took it apart and it has two grooves in the shart for the arms to lock it--If I pull on the arms to lock it will not. does the arms have a flat spot on them to cause it to lock? Scott part is almost $370--For that amount I'll buy a new one-question is which one (not scott)? Any one having trouble putting some of the homebuilt ones(unapproved) on without a lot of trouble from the feds?? field approval? I operate off grass and would like a pneumatic tire Have a 170 with the scott 3200 and it'still a little rough, so I think the 6" solid would be real rough. I saw in a couple of blogs about the california one but could not find it in aircraft spruce site. Is the scott worth fixing? thanks Ron
53 cessna 170B
46 7BCM rebuilding
home LA76 airport

Paul Agaliotis

Re: tailwheels revisited

Post by Paul Agaliotis »

The lock on the 2000 pushes the arm into the slots on the shaft. You need quite a bit of spring tension to make it work properly. This causes the lower rudder bushing to wear pretty quick.
I use the Aviation Products tail wheel. Great product and fair price, if you buy direct they are cheaper than some of the other retailers.
I install them with a log entry. Per CAR 4, tail wheels are not a regulated item.
Paul
Mailing Adress : Paul Agaliotis 2060 E. San Martin, San Martin,Calif. 95046

RMASS

Post by RMASS »

Thanks Paul, talked with a nice young lady at Aviation Products today and they have a forked 6" tailwheel which I think will work better on grass (solid tire only). Also, have drawing that American Champion is stating direct replacement. $255.00 if I remember right. Sending me some info. Considerably cheaper than Scott parts. Ron :D :D
53 cessna 170B
46 7BCM rebuilding
home LA76 airport

Paul Agaliotis

Post by Paul Agaliotis »

Ron,
You won't be sorry using their tail wheel. It's a quality piece and priced for the common man. I use the dual fork 6" unit.
Paul

DC Krog

Post by DC Krog »

I recommend Maule solid full swivel tailwheels. Very good handling and inexpensive compaired to Scott assemblies.

DC Krog

zipperdu

Post by zipperdu »

The API duel fork works great on my Champ, I've also had good luck with the Maule- why would anybody pay for the Scott??

Jon

RMASS

Post by RMASS »

Ordered the dual fork API thanks Ron
53 cessna 170B
46 7BCM rebuilding
home LA76 airport

Red(neck) Barron

Post by Red(neck) Barron »

When I bought my Champ, it had an old style Maule TW on it and the original TW in a box. I quickly discovered that the Maule was over the hill. It shook the little Champ so badly I thought its tail was going to fall off. I put the original back on and it does OK but I still would like something newer/better. I thought about reusing the Maule wheel and tire and buying everything else new but those parts totaled up to almost as much as an entire assembly. I've tried looking up the American Products that is mentioned in this thread but all I get is a website selling paints. Where are these TW's available at or how do I contact American Products?

Thank

Larry
Larry H
Sigourney, IA
Formally N84619, N84149 & N84069 - all1946 7AC's; also N57430 a 7ECA
Currently N91RA 7GCAA (Still a Champ, just grown up some)

CptKelly

Post by CptKelly »

We have an API tailwheel on our Champ too. Works great, but the solid hard rubber wheel doesn't give much shock dampening. If API sells a pneumatic tail wheel, I'd go for that one over the hard rubber one. The best selling factor is that these units are so very inexpensive.

Mike

Paul Agaliotis

Post by Paul Agaliotis »

Larry,
Try Aviation Products@att.net or 806 646-6042.
Paul

FlyingWrench

Post by FlyingWrench »

"I install them with a log entry. Per CAR 4, tail wheels are not a regulated item."
Paul, can you elaborate on this in regards to the installation of tailwheels not listed on the TCDS?

Thanks,
Dave

Paul Agaliotis

Post by Paul Agaliotis »

Dave,
The 7AC was certified under CAR 4(a). When you inspect these airplanes they are inspected to CAR 4(a) specifications. When you look into the Civil Air Regulations they specify that the tailwheels are not a regulated item. Probably due to the fact that many manufacturers built their own assemblies.
The TCDS, while approved data, was used by the manufacturer for the issuance of the Type Certificate, not necessarily for approval of listed items. On the flip side, just because it's listed on the TCDS doesn't give you installation approval on all listed items. The airplane needs to be in it's certified condition or properly modified condition.
Unfortunately, nobody really seems to know what is required. If you ask for clarification you tend to get opinion. The regulatory bodies out there do only one thing, regulate. I fall back on their regulations, if a CAR 4(a) airplanes tailwheel is not a regulated item I don't try to regulate them.
Paul

Red(neck) Barron

Post by Red(neck) Barron »

@Paul;

The phone number is disconnected and the email went unanswered. Are these the same tailwheels that Aircraft spruce lists as their 'Homebuilder' series?
Larry H
Sigourney, IA
Formally N84619, N84149 & N84069 - all1946 7AC's; also N57430 a 7ECA
Currently N91RA 7GCAA (Still a Champ, just grown up some)

Paul Agaliotis

Post by Paul Agaliotis »

Larry,
Yes they are the same tailwheels. Let me try to find a better number for you. You'll want to talk with Karen, she really knows her stuff and cab get it going. Getting them direct is a little cheaper. ACA has them installed on the 7LSA planes. They have a drawing but don't think it's a big enough change to amend the TCDS.
Paul

bob turner

Post by bob turner »

This forum is always a good source. Unfortunately I don't check in often - I am a Cub guy, and spend more time doing J3 stuff.
I should apologize for not answering PMs; it is just that I don't see them. I am not deliberately ignoring anybody.

Just got the API 6" double fork for my J3. Pulled a non-shimmying Maule off and installed the API.

The API shimmies on touchdown. It damps out quickly, but that touchdown shudder is enough to worry me. I have tried two different caster angles, crosswind and right down the runway, wheel landings until I run out of forward elevator.

My question - my tailwheel has zero damping in the kingpin. It is almost like it is on air bearings. All the other tailwheels I have fooled with have at least some resistance - some friction - in the kingpin rotation. Do you think I have a tailwheel that is missing something, or do I simply need to go to a more extreme caster angle?